Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Agent88
Punch Card
Views: 25,092
Message 1 of 7

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N

First attempt to use, I get the info "not powered".  Won't read any discs.  Ckd hardware devices... get info (Microsoft): device set for "safe removal" and to unplug and replug device.   What?  This is not a USB device!  Do I have to open the laptop and scrounge around until I find a cable?  Surely not.... Smiley Sad

nevermore
SCSI Port
Views: 25,063
Message 2 of 7

Re: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N

The optical drive can be safely removed and plugged back in by using the Ultrabay eject lever (located under the drive). Also pay attention to the latch at the right of the lever.
Agent88
Punch Card
Views: 25,054
Message 3 of 7

That did it... but I am not sure what caused the problem... I got a BSOD (my first with Win7) and need to look at the dump to see what went wrong. However, re-seating the DVD did allow it to be seen, and I think it works now.
Agent88
Punch Card
Views: 25,052
Message 4 of 7

BTW:  Everyone else probably aready knows, but this is an OEM drive made by Hitachi - LG Data Storage (HLDS) and has been around for a number of years.  There seems to be a long history of problems with it, and many regard this as a really cheap unit.  I am disappointed in Lenovo for choosing such a cheap device.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 25,040
Message 5 of 7

From my own experience the Panasonic drive has a higher failure rate than the HL drive.

Also, Lenovo can't really drop HL drive, because they are the major supplier for this sort of device, and lenovo limit itself to one company, since this would limit its bargaining power and could be adversely affected by any severe shortages. Basically you don't put all your eggs into one basket.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 23,020
Message 6 of 7
Moved:

Myrega1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,643
Message 7 of 7

Re: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N DVD player Lenovo Edge not working for DVD's

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad edge bought some 10 years ago, and its DVD does not play DVD disks. It doesn't even recognise the DVD in the Explorer menu. However the player will 'see' mp3 disks, or cd disks with installation programs, such as the Microsoft Word installation cd's.

Does anyone know how to get it to play DVD's?

This Thinkpad started as a Windows 7 64, but now Windows 10.

The problem was also as Windows 7

Thanks

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors