Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 913
Message 1 of 6

Hairline cracks on T420's lid

Hello Everyone!

A week after my T420's warranty expired, I noticed two cracks on the lid.  (Pictured below.)   Have anyone else seen things like these?  The Lenovo help desk person I spoke with told me that it might cost something in the range of $175-$900 to fix this.  But I'm a student, and that kind of money is above my budget.  Is there a less expensive, preferably DIY-ish way to get this fixed?

Thanks!

Sajith.

cracked-small.jpg

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 900
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hairline cracks on T420's lid

Call and insist on someone in customer relations. There is not excuse for cheap brittle plastics on PC. There are so man types of plastics and some can be as tough as steel. It sould never happen, NEVER absolutely rediculous.

I suggest you find a service center and call and arrange to take it to them. I seems sending it out to the approved depot results in more damage than what you started with.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

sajith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 886
Message 3 of 6

I will try that. Thanks!

My 6-year old R51 (which was the entry level model back then) is still functional and as strong as a brick, but for the now-dead battery. I'm really surprised by this, and the fidgety CD/DVD drive of the newer machine.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 858
Message 4 of 6

IBM engineered those but not these models. Cheap plastic (which has no business being used on a notebook) is apparently used and the smaller the footprint the bigger the issues on cracking seems to be. I've not read of the T5xx having cracking problems but thats not saying the plastic is any better. It just a bigger piece and hopefully supported better from flexing.

Plastic cracking used to be a problem around stress area's like hinges and ports but with tough newer plastics that has been a non issue until now. I've seen 10 year old notebooks built solid as a rock without issues. But you're not going to run anything on a Pemtium 90 these days. I am appauled by those posts and Lenovo should not bat an eye. Just replace the cheap sections as they fail. The damage in customer relations is not worth the penny cheap pieces they've used and they shoud realize that those failures are not acceptable. Especially in a business class system. To ask for payment is turning on the self destruct protocol with the time shortening exponentially with each case.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

sajith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 746
Message 5 of 6

Just wanted to update this thread with the current status: I procrastinated and finally ended up paying for fixing this -- along with another, unrelated problem.

Trotskey
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 6 of 6

Hi Sajith,

Just out of interest what was the charge. The reason I ask is my 420 case seems loose, especially around the camera, no crack but definitely not attached to anything, you can feel play when you push it, was yours like that prior to the cracks appearing?

thanks,

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors