Please help Smiley Sad

My laptop information is :

ThinkPad T420 , type 1480

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,143
Message 2 of 7

Re: Hard drive password remove

Not that I know of, since the whole purpose of those passwords are to secure the computer and its data in the case of theft, and providing ways to circumvent those protections, if they existed, are not allowed in this forum.

You might be able to send it to Lenovo and have it removed if you can provide proof of purchase/ownership of the system, but you would have to call support to find out if that is possible.

Good Luck,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,135
Message 3 of 7

Nobody can remove it - not Lenovo and not the drive manufacturer.  There is no backdoor.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 7,105
Message 4 of 7

As richk states, without the password the drive is a brick.

I've marked his post as the answer.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

AndrewWiggin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,042
Message 5 of 7

@JDGillis wrote:

The whole purpose of those passwords are to secure the computer and its data in the case of theft,

Good Luck,

Incorrect: the purpose of a HDD encryption password is to secure ONLY the data.

In my circumstance, I do not want any previous data. I want a blank HDD I can use in another system or in a USB drive. Funny thing, however, it appears that I cannot use this disk in another system even though I do know the password.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,033
Message 6 of 7

The hard drive password is encrypted in the drives firmware to prevent access to the hdd itself, but it does not encrypt the data stored on the drive.     Encryption would be handled by the OS well after entering the hdd password and booting.   

FYI,   Hdd passwords often fail to be authenticated when not entered on the same type of system, and sometimes fail due to different BIOS versions too.

AndrewWiggin
What's DOS?
Views: 3,995
Message 7 of 7

@JDGillis wrote:

The hard drive password is encrypted in the drives firmware to prevent access to the hdd itself, but it does not encrypt the data stored on the drive.     Encryption would be handled by the OS well after entering the hdd password and booting.   

That is untrue for any self-encrypting drive. In this case, as this drive is not encrypted, even though the data is not encrypted by the drive, the purpose of the HDD password is to prevent the data from being accessed - granted that without encryption the protection is imperfect.

Moments ago, I put the drive into another random similar model system & removed the password, so I am happy.

I still hold to the principle that on the condition that I do not mind data erasure OR I know the password, I should be able to access the drive from any system because the purpose of the password is to protect the data from those who do not know the password.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors