DK

19 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1 of 20

Heap of trouble with T490 + Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen2

2019-09-16, 8:54 AM

Dear helpy helpers,

I am experiencing a heap of trouble when using T490 and Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 together.

When we recieve a new machine, we reinstall it, with a clean latest version of Windows, and run TVSU for the lastest drivers. Software wise, they get Office, Visual Studio, ReSharper, SQL Server Management Studio and Symantec. Nothing fancy.

The last 3 machines hav had issues with the docks. The docks are 135W (cable plugged in the correct power port on the dock). Cable for the PC is on the back and not the front. Screens that wont run full resolution, no ethernet, no charging and the like. Checking the Thunderbolt Control Panel, the dock is connected.

Reinstalling wont solve the issued, but getting new motherboards for 2 machines worked somewhat.

I've been managing Lenovo laptops for 10 years now, and though i don't see myself as an expert, I have seen quite a few different models, and experienced different issues with docking solutions. Though. Nothing. Like. These. Thunderbolt. Docks. 

Is anyone else having trouble, or am I the only one fighthing this? I am thinking about running back to Windows 10 1809 instead of 1903, but I dont really like having to be vary of backwards compatibility with a simple setup as above. 

Any help would be hawt!

Solved! See the solution
Options

5 Posts

09-13-2019

US

14 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: Heap of trouble with T490 + Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen2

2019-09-16, 14:14 PM

Hey trammster, I'm also experiencing some of the problems you mention - namely, charging and Ethernet connections are inconsistent. We do not use our docks to connect to monitors, so I haven't experienced this. Sometimes when I plug in the single USB-C into the middle port, I get both Ethernet and charge. Othertimes, I get one or the other (most commonly, Ethernet but no charge). In some rare instances, I get neither.  I have setup T490s for other users and they seem to have no problem in my office, then different results in theirs.

While I don't have any concrete answers for you, I have a few things you can try for now. First a note, I'm using the T490s with the Thunderbolt 3 dock Gen 2 and I'm still on 1809. I don''t think the s series is all too different, but it should be noted.

• First, make sure your dock is configured this way:

• Next, make sure you've installed the Thunderbolt 3 dock drivers, found here. Restart after this is installed.When you log back into Windows, you should see the Thunderbolt prompt (it sounds like you've gotten this and selected Always Connect, just covering my bases)

In some cases, this is all I need to do to obtain charge and Ethernet. For instance right now on my laptop, I have both. But then I unplug and plug back in, and I get Ethernet but no charge! 

A few other things I tried, and I don't know if they helped or hurt my situation:

• Update system BIOS from 1.49 to 1.51 (found here) - this caused Kernel DMA protection to be turned on, which seems to mess with the Thunderbolt port, so I had to go into BIOS and turn it off (Security > Virtualization > Kernel DMA protection off, then Config > Thunderbolt > Security Level: No Security))
  • Update dock firmware (found here)
  • SCCM Package for Windows 10 (64-bit) (Version 1709, 1803 and 1809 or later) - ThinkPad T490s, X390 (I think this is specific to the T490s, found here)

I hope this helps a little bit, and I'll let you know if I find anything else. This led to a very frustrating Friday, and I hope someone can shed some light as to whether we're missing something. It's the inconsistency that is really troubling me - I can't deploy these if even I can't explain it properly!

- heatseeker

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

9 Posts

04-11-2017

DK

19 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2019-09-19, 6:42 AM

Thanks for taking your time to make this reply mate - I really apriciate it!

Lemme try your fixes, and then I will get back to you :) 

Options

5 Posts

09-13-2019

US

14 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 4 of 20

2019-09-20, 19:12 PM

Good luck! I think I've sorted things out on my end, and get a much more consistent experience when plugging into my dock. Basically, go into BIOS and make sure Thunderbolt security level is set to User Authorization (SL1) - this should be default, but must have changed for me once I updated the BIOS to 1.51. This was causing problems with my Thunderbolt port not allowing my dock to give power/Ethernet. I think.

Options

9 Posts

04-11-2017

DK

19 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2019-11-13, 13:20 PM

This still keeps on being an issue on and off, but i try to run through the steps you provided, and it works some of the time :) 

I have also started to use the preinstalled OS instead of a clean install, and has also given some success. I contacted my distrbutor, and he mentioned that HP had a heap of trouble in the same court at this, so i take it we are experiencing pure driver/firmware issues. 

I pray that it will get consistenly better soon! :) 

Options

52 Posts

09-28-2012

GB

62 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 6 of 20

2019-11-28, 16:00 PM

Hi Guys 

I wish to join the party and am feeling the exact same as OP - mega frustrated with Thunderbolt docking overall. 
I've got issues with T490 + TBT Gen2 Docks not charging,  everthing else is working OK.  

If i disconnect the Thunderbolt cable and reconnect it (while windows is running) then it will more often than not sort out the issue but generally if I connect my dock in the morning and power on the machine to boot to windows, it will not charge the machine. 

For info I had this problem with Windows 10 1903 and am now on 1909.  Thunderbolt software and firmware for windows is up to date. 

Two things:

1. It seems that with the release of the T490 there is no longer a need to approve Thunderbolt docks anymore.   With our T480's previously we had a system tray icon and needed to approve Thunderbolt docks.  Now we dont even have the system tray icon or the need to approve.   This is a good thing. 

2. I cannot for the life of me find the firmware update for the TBT Gen2 Dock.  I found this which looks right, but when I run the firmware update it says No Dock Found. 

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/accessory/docks/thunderbolt-3-workstation-dock/40an/40an0135uk/zjz0271m/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Advanced%20Firmware

So frustrated with this.   Did you guys find out how to make docking / charging work reliably ?

Thanks

Options

5 Posts

09-13-2019

US

14 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2019-11-29, 17:25 PM

Hey frenchd, this is a problem for me that seemed to have gone away, but I've had 3 users this week tell me their laptops were docked overnight, only to find them close to dead in the morning. The biggest issue for me is the inconsistency - I notice the laptop is not charging, so I try unplugging it and plugging back into the thunderbolt slot. Sometimes it picks up both Ethernet and power, sometimes not. Even more frustrating is that I am using the same equipment as my users and do not have this issue! It's hard to troubleshoot a problem when the results vary so wildly.

We are using the T490s model on 1809, and for me it does still require authorization when connecting to the dock for the first time. This is to be expected, as the BIOS/UEFI setting for Thunderbolt 3 is set to User Authorization (this may be set to auto for you).

I found this powershell snippet that will detect the firmware version of your dock, so at least you will know what version you or your users are on.

(Get-WmiObject Win32_PnPSignedDriver| where {$_.DeviceName -eq "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15BF"}).driverversion

I am on 1.41.729.0 and haven't had this problem since September when I received the laptops.

I'm thinking since I have not experienced this problem on my own device, I must have installed a driver on mine that I left off these users' laptops. I'll continue to update this as I learn more because we now know this is not an isolated event.

Options

9 Posts

04-11-2017

DK

19 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2019-12-02, 7:32 AM

Hey Man,

Sorry to hear you suffer from it too, it can be really frustrating. 

I stopped reinstalling machines for a test, and that seemed to fix some of the inconsistency - though i don't much like that approach. The first few machines after using the preinstalled os, had the same inconsistency after being connected to the TBD, but it went away after unhooking power from the dock and back in. 

We are running 1909, and the need to approve is gone as well. 

We had a tech guy bump in, and he explained that the usb-c/thunderbolt port it self is really weak, and cables shouldn't be under any kind of stress. I never found my cabling work to be excessive, but I try no to do that. Its not a solution, but if it fixes the issue just one place, its a hint. 

I can't for the life of me understand why this is so troublesome, and would love for Lenovo to recognize the issue, and at least tell us that a plan is in motion to solve the issues. The worst thing is, that our Macbook users dont have issues if they try on one of the Lenovo docks, wich maybe tells me that the driverwork isnt all that well.

Options

8 Posts

05-31-2016

ZA

41 Signins

322 Page Views

• Views: 322
  • Message 9 of 20

2019-12-17, 13:15 PM

Hi Team

There is a new FW that came out 16 December which seem to fix the issue, we had a machine having a similar issue, also some bp's tested the FW since yesterday, please test:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/za/en/products/accessory/docks/thunderbolt-3-workstation-dock/40an/downloads/DS505188

Options

5 Posts

09-13-2019

US

14 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

2019-12-17, 14:21 PM

Thank you Tngubane! I will install this on my own and then begin to roll it out to my users. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete