Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seankeith90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 149
Message 1 of 3

Help - Choosing the best T480 setup

Hi, I'm in the midst of buying my first Thinkpad T series and I've got some questions to clarify with all the current owners. These are the configuration of T480 I'm looking at;

• Processor : Intel Core i7-8650U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.20GHz)
  • Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
  • Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
  • Display : 14.0" WQHD (2560x1440), IPS, 300nits, Anti-glare
  • Memory : 4GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
  • Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GDDR5 2GB
  • Body Color : Black
  • Top Cover Material : Standard PPS (PPSU Poly) cover
  • Camera : Infrared & 720p HD Camera with Microphone
  • Keyboard : Keyboard Backlit English
  • Pointing Device : Fingerprint Reader
  • Security Chip : Hardware dTPM
  • TPM Setting : Hardware dTPM2.0 Enabled
  • First Hard Drive : 1TB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, Opal 2.0
  • Second Hard Drive : 128GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe
  • Front Battery : 3 Cell Li-Ion Battery, 24Wh, Front
  • Rear Battery : 3cell Battery 24Wh Rear
  • Power Cord : 65W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
  • Wireless : Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 2x2 AC, Bluetooth Version 4.1, vPro
  • vPro Certified Model : vPro Certified
  • Display Panel : 14.0" WQHD (2560x1440), PPS, No touch, No WWAN, IR Camera, Mic
  • Base : Intel Core i7-8650U Processor, NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB
  • Language Pack : Publication-English
  • Warranty : 1 Year Carry-in

Below are my confusions;

1. Based on the configuration above, will it have double pipe heatsink or singular?  

2. Since i'm going for 1tb NVMe at the M2.2280 slot, does Lenovo 1tb component is as good as Samsung 960 or its lottery? Will the 2 lanes lose out to the 4 lanes available in the T480s?

3. I'm also opting to upgrade the M2.2242 slot to 480gb in the future. Correct me if im wrong, 2 lanes speed is the same regardless its 2242 or 2280, right?

4. Why there is no option for NFC sensor if the Fingerprint sensor is selected, but NFC is available if Fingerprint sensor isn't selected? We can only choose either one and can't have both?

As for the RAM, i'm planning to upgrade it to 64gb (32gb x 2) so i'll leave it as it is. I'm choosing this over the T480s becaused of its soldered 8gb RAM, with imbalance dual channel memory if another slot is not also 8gb RAM. And also the single lane M2.2242 limits the SSD speed in T480s.

Pls advice if i'm making the right choices. Thanks!

Guru
Views: 117
Message 2 of 3

Re: Help - Choosing the best T480 setup

@seankeith90 wrote:

1. Based on the configuration above, will it have double pipe heatsink or singular?  

You'll get dual pipe heatsink, as this device will have NVIDIA dGPU installed.

@seankeith90 wrote:

2. Since i'm going for 1tb NVMe at the M2.2280 slot, does Lenovo 1tb component is as good as Samsung 960 or its lottery? Will the 2 lanes lose out to the 4 lanes available in the T480s?

It's a lottery - you may get Samsung PM971, which is absolutelly great or other SSD about which... well, better to say nothing. However, your device will have only PCIe x2 anyway (it's a know limitation of this model), so you still should get full speed with other SSDs available for this laptop (at least some of them).

@seankeith90 wrote:

3. I'm also opting to upgrade the M2.2242 slot to 480gb in the future. Correct me if im wrong, 2 lanes speed is the same regardless its 2242 or 2280, right?

AFAIK, M.2 2242 NVMe port also have two lanes.

@seankeith90 wrote:

4. Why there is no option for NFC sensor if the Fingerprint sensor is selected, but NFC is available if Fingerprint sensor isn't selected? We can only choose either one and can't have both?

I've checked how the device is build and I see no reason, why both these ports can't be installed at the same time. You could need to contact with Lenovo's sales representative directly for answer on this question.

Regarding other things:

• There's no point in getting i7-8650U, as many tests showed, that due to insufficient cooling solution, you will get worse results than e.g. i7-8550U. It may be also possible, than i5-8250U will be even faster because of the same issue. There's a nice article on Notebookcheck, regarding this issue.
  • There's no point in getting second 128GB SSD, as you plan to replace it anyway. It's better to save the money and spend them on buying SSD in desired capacity already.
  • As you need 64GB RAM, I would strongly advice to consider workstation class devices like P52, P1 (or X1 Extreme). They may be better suited for your needs.
------
seankeith90
Fanfold Paper
Views: 99
Message 3 of 3

Re: Help - Choosing the best T480 setup

Thanks mate! This is very informative

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors