Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmcginn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,186
Message 1 of 10

Help! Successor to T420?

I hope this is the right place for this. I'm a long-time ThinkPad fan who really needs help choosing a successor to my exhausted T420. Been chasing my tail, reading reviews for days -T460, T460p, T460s, T560, or maybe zig-zag to X??

I'm a free-lance researcher/ writer in moderately technical medical/ scientific content. VERY important: my hobbies of genealogy (lots of documents) and photography (nothing complicated, point and shoot, editing in Photoshop; simple video editing).

Of course I'd love a sexy, razor-thin whatever that flips every which way, but realistically, durability and ruggedness are the priority- I often shlep my laptop locally between clients and home, a few times a year by air, but not so much that a few ounces or even a pound either way matters.

I'm pretty tech-savvy, have changed my own fan and keyboard on occasion. I'm not interested in a touch screen, very comfortable with Windows 7, vaguely afraid of Windows 10.

I need to get back to work - please help!

(If this is the wrong place for this please direct me....)
Many thanks, Rosemary

rmcginn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,148
Message 2 of 10

Re: Help! Successor to T420?

Ok, so I guess this is the wrong place for this message, or I've failed to convey my extreme desperation at losing income as the clock ticks! Where should I go? (No wisecracks, please.)

thanks again / more,

Rosemary

@rmcginn wrote:

I hope this is the right place for this. I'm a long-time ThinkPad fan who really needs help choosing a successor to my exhausted T420. Been chasing my tail, reading reviews for days -T460, T460p, T460s, T560, or maybe zig-zag to X??

I'm a free-lance researcher/ writer in moderately technical medical/ scientific content. VERY important: my hobbies of genealogy (lots of documents) and photography (nothing complicated, point and shoot, editing in Photoshop; simple video editing).

Of course I'd love a sexy, razor-thin whatever that flips every which way, but realistically, durability and ruggedness are the priority- I often shlep my laptop locally between clients and home, a few times a year by air, but not so much that a few ounces or even a pound either way matters.

I'm pretty tech-savvy, have changed my own fan and keyboard on occasion. I'm not interested in a touch screen, very comfortable with Windows 7, vaguely afraid of Windows 10.

I need to get back to work - please help!

(If this is the wrong place for this please direct me....)
Many thanks, Rosemary

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,135
Message 3 of 10

Hello, Rosemary

This is the right place, don't worry. )
Perhaps, answers are absent because of ... there isn't direct successor of the excellent laptop T420. Despite I like X series, T420 is a masterpiece.

The newest line of Tx60x you listed seems ambiguous enough by a lot of arguments. IMHO T460p only seems a good device. But is 2.1+ kg light for you?

Compare detailed laptops platforms specifications, LCD models and their parameters (it's not easy though), HDD, SSD models, upgradability, case materials, batteries capacity etc. You can find specifications in the Lenovo PSREF database.

Despite you are not interested in a touch screen, take a look at the ThinkPad (!) Yoga 460. Very solid device, pehaps more interesting than T460 series. I have its "brother" TP Yoga 260. I like it, in one word.
If you'll be interested in the reviews about TP T line, TP Yoga, I'll try to post the links. As well any other help I can provide.

As a conclusion, try to choose and rank laptop features you'd like to have. This'll allow to discard many variants.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,124
Message 4 of 10

I used to think I didn't like touch screens, and I still use the mouse/touchpad for most things, but the touch functions are well integrated into windows 10.  I used to suggest that windows 7 was best on non-touch machines, but when I got used to it, I think windows 10 is fine there also, and it is easier to use the same OS everywhere.  As far as laptops, I use a bigger 15" mobile-workstation-type machine and also a smaller one.  I use the 15" one because the 14" and smaller machines have eliminated DVD drives and I need to deal with those on occasion.  I also need the flexibility to have 2 drives.  (not available on smaller machines) I agree with x220forme's comment on the ThinkPad Yoga 260 being a good solid machine and it feels a lot like the older, sturdy models.  If you look at the main menu page of this forum, under "featured" there is a write-up that I did on it.  Some people prefer the 14" size and there are 3 models in the T460 "group".

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rmcginn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,086
Message 5 of 10

Thanks, folks, very helpful. I think the 460 and 460p are overkill for me. (Plus I want a beautiful sleek toy, I admit it...)

I'm thinking since I don't NEED the power it's not worth the extra weight.

So now I need to figure out that ridiculouly complex and confusing "SHOP" page. Which one should I start with? Can't I just tell them what I want for each thing? You'd think Lenovo would have consultants telling them how to set up sales web pages. Sigh.

So, should I get top-of-the-line processor and huge disk, or minimal and count on myself to upgrage? (ahem)

Appreciate any input.

R

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,078
Message 6 of 10

One difference on "modern" machines affects upgradability.  Your T420 had a socketed processor.  Now, everything is soldered.  Some models have soldered memory.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Elmer_B_
Paper Tape
Views: 948
Message 7 of 10

I think its real unfortunate the direction modern laptops are going. Seems like there has been a "coup" completed against the consumer (aka customer). Modern machines are now being manufactured to deny the use of Windows 7 or Linus OS's. Part of the Microsoft "vast global conspiracy" to take over the world with Win10 Smiley Happy.
Also the use of soldered parts to prevent customers from replacing bad components. Seems like laptops are moving toward being "throwaways". Pretty expensive throwaways.
So, where do you think this will lead to? I wonder if people are smarter than given credit for. I wonder if they will just not participate in this new paradigm shift?
sktn77a
802.11n
Views: 943
Message 8 of 10

Well,  the classic dilemma here - you're comfortable with Win 7 and ambivalent to Win 8/10.  Join the club!  In my opinion, Windows 8 and/or 10 make no sense unless you have a touch screen.  They will drive you nuts on a regular laptop if you like Win 7.  You could get a refurb i7 T430 with Win 7 - they're pretty much bullet proof and plenty powerful.  Downgrading a current model to Win 7 will probably be a hit-or-miss proposition.  You could get a new Win 10 machine and use Classic Shell to approximate the Win 7 GUI but it's not a perfect solution.

Good luck!

Keith
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU, X1 1921-26U
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891

DCalvert
Paper Tape
Views: 304
Message 9 of 10

Dear Rosemary,

I am writing 2 years later so I'm imagining you solved your problem.

However, I have the exact same questions.  Have been "married" to the Thinkpad series since IBM days.  Think it's a fabulous machine for a road warrior.  Am similarly ambivalent about moving to Windows 8 or 10...LOVE my Windows 7!!!

I can tell you this - there is a 420 S version, that i bumped into accidentally.  It's a lot lighter than the 410/420.  the downside is the battery life on these sucks (probably half the battery life of the regular 410/420). they also seem to be VERY sensitive to heat.  I've had one go down due to the fan malfunctioning.  Even the best of them seem to have noisy fans.

That said, I'm still looking for a good successor to the T420S, in case anyone has thoughts.  Touch screen is not imperative for me..most of my work is spreadsheets.  I'd really prefer to stay on Win 7 Pro as long as possible.

thanks in advance

dean

SeniorGuru
Views: 293
Message 10 of 10

@DCalvert wrote:

That said, I'm still looking for a good successor to the T420S, in case anyone has thoughts.  Touch screen is not imperative for me..most of my work is spreadsheets.  I'd really prefer to stay on Win 7 Pro as long as possible.

Welcome to the forum.

May I ask why you want to replace the T420s? Has it failed or is it just too slow now?

If it's still working, but too slow, how much RAM do you have installed? Do you use a hard drive or a solid state drive?

I have a T430s. I've upgraded RAM to 16GB, although 8GB is probably enough. I've also replaced the HDD with an SSD. I've also upgraded to Win10. While it's still a bit slower than more modern systems it continues to run acceptably and flawlessly. So if you haven't done so already, I'd consider upgrading what you have. Used DDR3 RAM should be relatively inexpensive and the prices of SSDs has come down substantially in recent months.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors