cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DFW_Andy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,515
Message 1 of 7

How do I check integrity of my SSD when I have the NVMe interface?

Alright, community - next challenge I'm facing.

The T470 very likely has a defective SSD but not bad enough to easily claim under warranty.

I need a good error-checking tool...for a drive that I can't get to load the OS so I need a bootable USB tool.

Even if I could boot into Windows - being the only technology guy/shop in the company I really need good diagnostics tools for any and all Lenovo devices but for this thread I'll stick to asking about SSD via NVMe.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,511
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I check integrity of my SSD when I have the NVMe interface?

Have you tried the diagnostic tools in BIOS?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

DFW_Andy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,464
Message 3 of 7

I'm definitely not seeing any diagnostics tool for the SDD within BIOS.  Diagnostic boot is very basic and doesn't test the integrity of the SDD.  What am I missing?

I was thinking of a much more comprehensive tool that can test the addresses of the SDD (and RAM too, for that matter).  Seems that long gone are the excellent diagnostics tools that Lenovo used to make available.  Or perhaps they've just hidden them from the general populas making it much more difficult for a small IT shop to actually figure out what may be wrong with the hardware of their organization.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,461
Message 4 of 7

I have to confess, I'd never tried the BIOS diagnostics before.  There is an SSD test but it is indeed basic.  Looks like a simple read - and runs in a few seconds.

FWIW, pics below - in case you didn't spot these options.  This is from a T25 but I'd expect (I hope...) your machine to have the same options.

Z.

T25 App Menu Diagnostics.jpg

T25 BIOS Diagnostics Options.jpg

T25 Storage Diagnostics Selection.jpg

T25 Storage Diagnostic Running.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

DFW_Andy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,399
Message 5 of 7

Actually, no. 

This new T470 has a very basic BIOS menu.

Since it appears Lenovo doesn't have such a tool (at least not that they make available to the public) and no one has suggested a good, third-party tool, is this a dead issue?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,389
Message 6 of 7

It seems unlikely, but it's possible that your machine doesn't have the diagnostic feature.  I don't have an identical machine to check.

[edit to add] The boot-time diagnostics are also on my Gen 1 TP Yoga.  I really expect them to be on your T470 also.

Your screenshot isn't the place where you'd find the diag options.  Do a restart, hit F12. That should get you the boot menu with an additional tab for the App Menu. The diagnostic stulf is location in the App Menu on my machine, not in the BIOS config pages - as shown in my pics.

[more edit] The HMM for your T470 suggests F10 to access the UEFI diagnostics at boot time.  Please see page 27.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t470_hmm_en_sp40m11890_03.pdf

Z.

DFW_Andy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,363
Message 7 of 7

Okay, but that test on storage took less than 9 seconds - no question I'm looking for something more extensive. I have no desire to deploy this again only to have it possibly fail.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors