cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YeshY
Paper Tape
Views: 3,341
Message 1 of 2

How does an SSD upgrade work on a hard drive T470?

I'm getting a T470 with the base 500GB HDD, but have ordered a Samsung 960 EVO SSD from Amazon. I have now found out that the T470 does not take M2 2280 SSDs unless you get a PCie SSD from the site itself, as there is an adapter that allows that. Should I cancel/return the SSD, or is there any way to get this SSD to work(if I could buy the adapter myself)?

Or should I use the M2 2242 slot? I'm very lost at the moment. I do not mind swapping out the 500GB Hard Drive, as that's what I initially hoped to do. M2 2242 SSDs seem to be much more pricey and do not offer enough performance or storage at that price.

Is there any SATA to M2 2280 enclosure/adapter I could use?

Or should I get a SATA SSD?

Or should I get a M2 2242 SSD? I'd rather not due to price v performance/storage

Could I move the WiFi adapter to the M2 2242 slot...and will I get a free M2 2280 slot?

Please help.

Would the adapters here work: http://www.microsatacables.com/drive-adapters-and-drive-converters/m-2-ngff

Also, side question, would this 4GB RAM stick work on the T470? I know it'll be lessened to 2133MHz, but it'll work right?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,252
Message 2 of 2

Re: How does an SSD upgrade work on a hard drive T470?

Hello and welcome to the Community

In order to use M.2 2280 PCIe3x4 SSD like the one by your link above you have to find new m.2 SSD adapter/bracket for 2.5" drive bay (Lenovo service FRU # 01AX994, the photo is below) and replace the HDD cable with m.2 SSD one (FRU # 00UR496)

Also you might use 2.5" 7mm SATA III SSD in the same drive bay as HDD.

m.2 2242 SATA SSD might be fitted either into separate m.2 slot. This slot doesn't support wifi card (it can't be fitted by the connector key mismatching).

According to Crucial' CT4G4SFS824A specification, it supports the speed 2133 MT/s, so, the module should work in T470. Make sure there is an empty SO-DIMM socket.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors