Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doc007
Paper Tape
Views: 763
Message 1 of 9

How much RAM can I upgrade to?

I have a T510 (or I think that's what it is, maybe I should verify that first and how would I do that?). The other numbers are 4384-C53.

I have 4GB installed, but I only see one stick of RAM in it. The other spot that looks like where the other stick should be has part of what may be a heatsync retention clamp or something (x shaped metal bracket) intruding into it and no place to plug a stick of RAM in. Anyway, is there another stick hiding somewhere or is this some strange setup with only one stick?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 743
Message 2 of 9

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to?

Good evening and welcome to the community.

You, indeed, have a T510:

ThinkPad T510 (4384-C53)
i7-620M(2.66GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 15.6in 1600x900 LCD, 512MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100m,
CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, WWAN option, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure Chip,
Fingerprint reader, 9c Li-Ion, Win7 Pro 32

You may find your Hardware Maintenance Manual generally useful:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74250

On manual pages 73-74, you'll see the memory slots (x2) under the access panel on the bottom of the machine. While I'm not sure if the *10-series supported 16gb, you should be fine adding another 4gb stick to bring your machine up to 8gb.

Hope this helps.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 724
Message 3 of 9

8GB total is the max

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
doc007
Paper Tape
Views: 707
Message 4 of 9

Thanks!

So from that manual it also looks like I'll ahve to remove the keyboard to get at the 2nd stick of RAM? (pg 80/86 depending if you go by the number page or the page the PDF is telling you it is) I haven't tried this yet, so I guess I will to see if there's another stick under there.

From the pages you referenced there is no useable "b" slot on my computer. (as I discribed initially)

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 702
Message 5 of 9

Sorry, to clarify, the manual linked covers both the T510 and W510. I believe that only specific W510 models had 4 memory slots, total, 2 under the bottom cover and 2 under the keyboard.

Do you see a memory module under the lower cover? If you don't, the your existing 4gb (1 stick) is under the keyboard and there's no need to pull it. Just add an appropriate 4gb stick in the bottom compartment and you're done. If there is a stick in the lower compartment, then you using 2x2gb and will need to replace both to get to 8gb.

Regards.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

doc007
Paper Tape
Views: 697
Message 6 of 9

Yes, there is one and it says it's 2GB so I guess there has to be another one elsewhere, because it's reporting 4GB in Windows. Here's a picture of what it looks like. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23xfn3oqsnb6naj/Ram%2020140420.jpg

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 689
Message 7 of 9

Yep, the other 2gb is under the keyboard.

If you want 8gb, you'll need to swap out both 2gb sticks. You could also just swap out the more easily accessable lower stick and go with 6gb total.

Regards.

doc007
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 8 of 9

Thanks!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 677
Message 9 of 9

You're welcome.

Happy computing! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors