Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

10-09-2008

Ithaca, NY

54 Signins

375 Page Views

• Views: 375
  • Message 1 of 4

How to Switch from Speakers to Headphones?

2008-11-06, 18:51 PM

I have a new T400 and I'm trying to use some headphones, but I'm a noob to Vista and recent mobile platforms.  I thought if I plugged it in, it would automatically switch off the onboard speakers and use the headphones.  Instead, the speakers continue to play.  I am able to successfully play the test tones on the headphones via right clicking them as listed through one of the sound control panels.  I can't even figure out how to switch to headphones manually.  I can't seem to find any special control programs for my audio device, which I guess is some integrated Intel chip.

So, how can I switch to headphones and back to speaker either manually, or preferably, automatically?

Options

18 Posts

10-09-2008

Ithaca, NY

54 Signins

375 Page Views

• Views: 375
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: How to Switch from Speakers to Headphones?

2008-11-08, 14:00 PM

So, I switched the default sound device from speakers to headphones.  Now, if my headphones are plugged in, they are used instead of speakers.  But I have to restart any sound application like WMP for it to switch to the newly plugged-in headphones, else they continue to play through the speakers - and vice versa for when I unplug them in favor of the speakers.  I also noticed that if I unplugged my headphones while playing music in WMP, playback stops and I cannot resume it either through speakers or headphones again - I have to exit.

Is this the way it should be working?  I was sort of hoping for something more flexible - like it switching from headphone to speaker and back by plugging and unplugging, without the need to restart applications.  Also, is there some software mixer switch that will allow me to manually change outputs?

I was unable to find any additional hardware control, beyond volume - and no reference to any real sound hardware, just MS Vista's HD Sound Architecture layer.  I don't see anything under Control Panel or Programs.  The only thing I've noticed so far is either Lenovo or Windows update fetching some new Conexant software, which I imagine may be the underlying sound system.

Options

3 Posts

11-08-2008

Portland, OR

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-11-08, 22:04 PM
I've had my T400 for about a month now.  A couple of days ago I downloaded a new version of system update (3.14?) from the lenovo site because using it from the installed ThinkPad software had no result.  The new version worked and one of the updates it offered was Conexant Audio Features II version 4.56.0.50.  I just tried to use my headphones which previously worked as you expected they would.  Now they don't and I have the same problem as you.   Once I find a link and try it out, I'll let you know.
Options

3 Posts

11-08-2008

Portland, OR

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-11-08, 22:14 PM
I had noticed that when mousing over the volume icon in the tray that the text was now "High def audio device" and not 'conexant'-whatever.  Device manager->update driver let me choose a location which defaulted to the temp folder from my thinkpad system update.  I guess the install never completed because that was the fix for me.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms