cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nick_franz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 748
Message 1 of 5

How to disassemble T440p keyboard itself?

First of all greetings to all of you on this forum!

This is my very first topic in here and, quite frankly, might be one of the only threads I'll ever make, that's because I'm on an impasse where I need some advice before doing anything that might mess things up.

Anyway! Back to the situation at hand.

While working earlier this week I accidently spilled coffee all over my computer (thanks body for having a sudden urge to sneeze just when I was taking a sip of it). Presently I shut my computer down, removed the keyboard and dried everything that I could below the keyboard/"fluid-shield" and squeezed some paper towel below it keys as well.

After all that I hooked everything back together and turned the computer on to check for failures and unfortunately one little key wasn't working: my dear little left key. Luckly it wasn't a letter key and I could carry on with my work for up until I had some time to try to resurrect it (which is today).

I have to mention that my warrant expired an year ago and I do have some experience working with electronics, so it wouldn't hurt to disassemble the keyboard itself and check for coffee-blockage in the circuitry, which I suspect it is the case because otherwise I'd expect a whole array of keys to go bad all at once.

The thing is, after removing the board from the computer I can't remove the plastic back (the one that slides and hides the screws) save for the lateral plastic clamps. Digging the web for a solution didn't helped either, since all I could find was how to remove the keyboard from the computer, not how to disassemble it.

Closing my question, I know I could easily buy a brand new keyboard and hook it up in a minute or go to a lenovo tech support, but I really think I could solve the problem by myself without having to wait days (and spending money), that if I can dismantle it apart.

I'm looking forward for your inputs and I'm grateful to have this platform to speak out what might also be a question many other people had.

Guru
Views: 703
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to disassemble T440p keyboard itself?

In my personal experience, disassembling the keyboard itself has usually been a oneway street.

I'd try putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol under the key and see if that dissolves any leftover gunk. Or just outright rinsing that area a bit.

Make sure you're okay with leaving the keyboard unattached and unpowered for a day or two after applying any significant amount of liquid to it though.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 695
Message 3 of 5

They are not made to come apaart.  The keys and the key supports attach with much smaller pins than earlier models.  The internal membranes and cables are attached with adhesives that hold well, but once removed are impossible to reattach.  I used to try to fix earlier ones, but now I have given up doing all but the simplest repairs.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
nick_franz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 661
Message 4 of 5

@richk wrote:

They are not made to come apaart.  The keys and the key supports attach with much smaller pins than earlier models.  The internal membranes and cables are attached with adhesives that hold well, but once removed are impossible to reattach.  I used to try to fix earlier ones, but now I have given up doing all but the simplest repairs.

That's really a shame. I guess I'm going to at least try ColonelONeill's suggestion and try to dissolve the gunk using isopropyl alcohol, though I ran out of it, so I'll have to buy some more before. I'll let you guys know if that works or not in a few days. Smiley Happy

Thank you for your promptness for the time being.

nick_franz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 630
Message 5 of 5

Greetings,

I've tried to leave the left key submerged in isopropyl alcohol for half a day then let it dry for the next two days, but unfortunately it didn't work and the key is still dead.

If that didn't work then the problem might not even been gunk over the circuitry but something much worse and "harder-to-fix". Since I can only open the keyboard once and never re-assembly it back on, I guess I'll have to live without a left key until I buy a brand new keyboard.

Nevertheless I appreciate your inputs and now I'll close this topic.

Cheers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors