cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tazzz
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 1 of 3

How to install OS on Thinkpad 430u after changing OEM HDD to NEW SSD?

Hi, I am new to the community. I thought I'd join since most you guys are very helpful and expert at finding solution for people like me. 

Problem: My Lenovo T430U came with OEM Hardrive that recently started having problems. After a recent factory reset with the recovery USB drive everytime it tried to update the updates were reverting back. It was a loop and I got tired so I thought refreshing using the recovery disk might help. It didn't. So I thought getting a new SSD with a clean install would solve everything. That's where I am stuck. 

I installed the new Crucial SSD and inserted my Recovery USB that I previously created. I started the laptop and chose to factory reset hoping the OS will be installed but I get a message saying "Unable to reset your PC. The system drive cannot be found."

Please see the attached image for the error I get.

I know my recovery USB has all the necessary information to create the partition and install OS. I even tried using the recovery USB from someone else who has exact same laptop as mine. He was able to change his HDD to the same SSD I bought and installed OS without any problems few years back. But I cannot now. I feel that it's a Lenovo who may have updated the system and there's some steps I need to take that I am not aware of.

Please help me. How can I install the OS on my new SSD and fix this issue?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 289
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to install OS on Thinkpad 430u after changing OEM HDD to NEW SSD?

Hello and welcome,

My guess is that your new SSD isn't being detected by BIOS.  If you boot to BIOS do you see the SSD?

I've had issues with Crucial SSDs and some of my ThinkPads.  The suspicion is that the SSD initializes a little too slowly and the BIOS drive probe code times out.  This varies with BIOS version and SSD model.

Is your BIOS version the same as your acquaintance's BIOS version?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Tazzz
Paper Tape
Views: 284
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to install OS on Thinkpad 430u after changing OEM HDD to NEW SSD?

Hey thanks for the response. I really hope I can install the OS on this new SSD. 

Yes, when I start the laptop I see the Crucial SSD. (I attached a pic of what I see). 

BIOS version for mine: 09/18/2014 H6ET92WW (2.10)

BIOS version for friend: 01/11/2013

H6ET90WW (2.08)

1) What could I do to install the OS on this new SSD? The recovery USB I have isn't creating a partition and saying "Unable to reset your PC. The system drive cannot be found"

2) and what does this error even mean?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors