Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikeysworld
Fanfold Paper
Views: 163
Message 1 of 4

How to turn of Eject function for internal SATA drive in media bay

I saw an older post where the user was trying to remove the option to eject SATA drives.  I have a very similiar issue but from the previous post I do not see direct solution.  I have placed a 2nd SSD SATA drive in the media bay.  Windows has no issues seeing the drive upon powering up.  When I close the lid, which at default puts the laptop asleep, upon opening and signing back on the second hard drive is missing.  If I restart the drive reappears.  I changed the action when closing the lid to power off the laptop but when I powered it back on the hard drive was still missing.  Again, going through a restart resolves the immediate issue.

Can someone give me a solution that ultimately would be to remove the option to eject the hard drive from the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media?  I also tried a solution about a Registry entry with no success. https://superuser.com/questions/12955/how-can-i-remove-the-option-to-eject-sata-drives-from-the-wind...

Lenevo T540p

Windows 10 Pro - 1709 (OS Build 16299.309)

T540p - Win 10 Pro , X220 - Win 7 Pro
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 153
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to turn of Eject function for internal SATA drive in media bay

I don't have a T540p or similar to test, but the first thing I would do is look in the event log and see if the drive is throwing a message when you sleep or resume

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Mikeysworld
Fanfold Paper
Views: 138
Message 3 of 4

I see no logged events pertaining to the drive.

I just upgraded the BIOS to version 2.31 dated March 7, 2018.  I have not been able to replicate the issue with the drive disappearing after returning from sleep mode.  Odd, as there is no mention in the Readme file stating any type of hardware fix for this.

I still see that the Eject function is still active.  Would be nice to ditch that option for the drive.  If it was as simple as a BIOS setting for turning off Hot Swapping.

T540p - Win 10 Pro , X220 - Win 7 Pro
Guru
Views: 108
Message 4 of 4

I have tested 2nd Ultrabay disks in many ThinkPads (T540p included) and I've never encoundered problem before mentioned BIOS update.

Do you use official adapter (FRU: 0B47315) or you bought a 3rd party one?

While I have never tried to remove eject icon, I made OS unable to eject the disk, as it was still used by it. In order to do so, you'll have to move some your profile's folders (e.g. Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Temps) to your 2nd SSD or simply move pagefile.sys (in Virtual Memory settings).

BTW. Ultrabay slot isn't hot-swappable according to Platform Specification.

------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors