Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Overmann
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 1 of 10

I'm having a hard time getting an overview

Hello,

I've been looking at Lenovo for a while to replace my laptop which is litterally falling apart (due to MSI's poor build quality), but I'm having a really hard time getting a proper overview of the features of the models available. The T'series seem like the way to go as they are supposedly the most rugged models, but it appears they only have room for a single storage device (m2?) and only up to 1tb, which cannot be correct? I've been looking to get a device that has room for a regular old HDD as I need a LOT of storage space (for audio production work), but now that I'm looking around I cannot seem to find any models that fit my description of rugged and solid build quiality and good expandability in regards to internal storage. Performance is also important but I'm perfectly happy with discrete graphics (which seems to be the norm with the thinkpad line) Smiley Tongue

I hope someone will be generous enough to take some time to help me out.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 204
Message 2 of 10

Re: I'm having a hard time getting an overview

Welcome to the Community..

As somone who also does a good deal of audio work, can I just say this: The days of onboard storage are reaching an end.  With ever-thinner laptops, ever-faster internet connections and ever-increasing cloud and network storage, it's just not that necessary, which is why you're seeing more and more computers with a nice, fast SSD for the OS and programs.. and that's it. The number of external ports is also decreasing.

I work mostly with network storage on my home network. There's enough room on a quarter-tearabyte SSD for the program to function, periodically saving my work to either the NAS or the cloud. Everything is also frequently backed up on portable hard drives. USB-3 is plenty fast enough for those and the interface is speedy enough even for light video work. 

I highly recommend external storage for a number of reasons.

• You can update/upgrade it much more easily than disassembling a laptop. 
  • Inevitably, Windows - at some point - will wreck something. I have everything I need on two laptops and one desktop. If one goes down, I pick up where I left off on one of the others seamlessly. (Since they're really thin, I usually travel with both laptops).
  • Hard drives eventually fail. 

I know big internal storage is a hard habit to break, but once you do that, you'll wonder why you didn't embrace the cloud sooner. Smiley Happy

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 193
Message 3 of 10

SanDisk and other SD Card mfg. are now producing 1TB SD cards...

Maybe that's a solution?

They are a little pricey right now, but I expect prices to drop over next 3-6 months............

Wow...

I never thought I'd write a sentance like that ... my first PC had dual 160K floppy drives and no HD at all.................... Smiley Very Happy

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 188
Message 4 of 10

Hi Overmann,

The Doctor makes good points, but I haven't evolved to the point of using the cloud and NAS approaches - so my instincts are rather like yours Smiley Wink

The Tx90 series base specs don't mention secondary storage, but the Tx80 units do.  Either a spinner or m.2 SSD in the main bay, and the possibility of a 2242 NVMe SSD in the WWAN slot.  They are still available for purchase - at least on the US site.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T480/ThinkPad_T480_Platform_Specificatio...

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T580/ThinkPad_T580_Platform_Specificatio...

You could configure (or upgrade) a machine the way you suggest: OS on an SSD in the WWAN slot, and high-capacity HDD (or SSD) in the primary storage slot.  It's often easiest - and cheapest - to go with minimal storage at order, and then upgrade yourself.  That does require making sure that the laptop is ordered with the required drive brackets and cables, or that they are purchased separately.

About the 1TB "limit": Lenovo quotes specs based on what they ship - and have tested - not what the maximums are.

I'm not advocating the above, just tossing it out as a possibility.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Overmann
Paper Tape
Views: 179
Message 5 of 10

@

Cloud storage is not an option for me, but external could be but I would like to avoid it. I don't want to have to lug around external storage when I can use internal. I would have to carry it around with me every day all the time. It just seems silly.

I have to stream a very large number of files from storage. The sampled instruments alone add up to over 1TB. I've used several cloud-solutions when collaborating with other studios on projects and our experiences have been very hit or miss and the number of files involved in those projects are not even comparable to what I have to deal with locally. I don't trust it to not mess up and it's not practical for me.

@JimBobMC

An SD solution might be practical but if I can get a machine with a regular HDD I would prefer that. Speed is not important, and those drives are reliable and affordable.

@

Thank you! Yes, that T580 is looking quite good, but I just feel strange ordering a model that has been "replaced"? Did it recently get a price drop? I'll have to check out the norwegian site. I already have a really nice HGST-drive that I want to use for 2.5HDD storage so the heads up about the brackets is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 178
Message 6 of 10

The cloud may or may not be good for you depending on where you live and need access.  I live in a big city, but have a cabin in a remote area,  The internet there is only available via my cellular connection, which is slow and has data limits.  I also might carry a laptop while travelling, and need to use my phone as a mobile hotspot.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 172
Message 7 of 10

@JimBobMC wrote:

SanDisk and other SD Card mfg. are now producing 1TB SD cards...

Maybe that's a solution?

They are a little pricey right now, but I expect prices to drop over next 3-6 months............

Wow...

I never thought I'd write a sentance like that ... my first PC had dual 160K floppy drives and no HD at all.................... Smiley Very Happy

My first was a PS/2. I think that was a 30MB hard drive. I recall how insanely hard it was to find a replacement when it died. I also recall the meltdowns I had when I came home to finish a project only to realize the files I was working on I'd left on floppies at work. 

I saw the 1TB SD cards. I'm debating trying one of those out in my Yoga Book C930 as either a ghost drive or - more likely - the target for backups and Win 10's File History. My 910 and 920 don't have built-in card readers, so that's no better option than an external drive for me. 

Friend of mine who does WAY more audio work than I do carries three external hard drives back and forth to work. Two of them have identical copies of all of his work and the sound libraries he needs. The third contains images and installation files. No matter what happens, he's back up and running in an hour, at most. 

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Overmann
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 8 of 10

@Doctordon
That friend of your's sounds like he has his act together! Smiley Very Happy

I like to travel as light as possible. I do on location recording and light "engineering" and need to have a huge amount of sample instruments and other libraries with me at all time. I carry my audio interface, my preamps and my microphones. Adding a vouple of extra external HDD's to the mix wouldn't make a big difference, but I would just like to avoid it. The fact that I never know where i'll be recording makes cloud-storage impossible for me. At the moment I have an internal SD for backups and I do a more thorough backup of the files when I get home. The audio interface also backes up everything to USB as it's recording (RME has some great solutions) Smiley Happy

Is the T580 the model for me then? None of the models from the most recent generation will fit the bill?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 137
Message 9 of 10

About external storage: there are some fast, compact external devices these days, but I recently built my own.

MyDigital NVMe to USB-C/USB 3.0 adapter + a Crucial 1TB NVMe SSD.  Really compact (sort of a fat flash drive), stinky fast (pusing 1GB/sec even with the 2-lane PCIe connection) and cost me about $170US.  SATA options might be even less expensive, and still fairly quick.

Mine was assembled for a different purpose: legacy and UEFI bootable, Linux, Acronis, other tools  in FAT32, and a big NTFS partition for data.  More for forensics and backups but it might be useful as a fast storage extender.

again FWIW & good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 134
Message 10 of 10

@Overmann wrote:
@Doctordon
Is the T580 the model for me then? None of the models from the most recent generation will fit the bill?

The base specs for the Tx90 machines mention Optane memory but it isn't clear whether it's a separate slot or a hybrid SSD/Optane device in the single drive slot.  Also even if it is a separate slot, there's no indication that it supports an SSD.

If you want massive storage in a more recent machine (and you have an unlimited budget...) the X1 Extreme will support two drives, and the P52 can manage three:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20X1%20Extreme/ThinkPad_X1_Extreme_Platfor...

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P52/ThinkPad_P52_Platform_Specifications...

Z.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors