Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmagro
Paper Tape
Views: 32,354
Message 1 of 10

Install SIM card in Lenovo Thinkpad T460

Hi, I'm having trouble to find the sim card access in my laptop.

I have inserted the SIM card in the slot, but I cant fint the sim card or to access it in the system.
My operative system is Windows 10 Pro x64, and my laptop is:

Lenovo ThinkPad T460

TYPE:  20FN-003LSP

Somebdoy can help me, please?

Regards

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 32,122
Message 2 of 10

Re: Install SIM card in Lenovo Thinkpad T460

There are 2 parts required.  It looks to me like your model does not normally come with a WWAN card.  Unless you added it later, a SIM card won't help.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mmagro
Paper Tape
Views: 32,099
Message 3 of 10

Hi Richk, thanks for your answer.

I thought that this model have the WAN device, like a "WAN Miniport" what you can see in the next screenshot:

wan_port.PNG

Is not this the device required?

If not, what would be the right device?

Do you jnow if could be installed on this type computer?

Thanks and regards.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 32,059
Message 4 of 10

Good day.

As richk mentioned, your machine wasn't factory-configured with a WWAN card. From your models support page: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T46... the Machine Info dropdown shows:

Processor: Intel Core i5-6200U Processor(Core i5-6200U): : Memory: 8GB PC3-12800: : Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 10 Pro(SP: Spanish): : Hard Drive: 256GBOPAL2.0: : Wireless Network: Intel Wireless 8260(2x2AC) with BT4.1: : Ports: 4-in-1 Media Card Reader (SD, MMC, SDHC, SDXC); RJ-45; Mini DP; Microphone/Headphone Jacks; DC in; HDMI 1.4; CS13 Docking; 3 USB 3.0: : Camera: 720p HD Camera: : Monitor: 14.0 FHD: : Included Warranty: 3 Year On-site

The WAN Miniport items shown in Device Manager are Windows system "components". More info here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/network/overview-of-the-wan-architecture

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

mmagro
Paper Tape
Views: 32,047
Message 5 of 10

Hi Sarbin,

Thank you very much for your info, it's very clear.

Regards!

RickSlash
What's DOS?
Views: 31,906
Message 6 of 10

Can I configure a WWAN card after purchase?

Abd2
Paper Tape
Views: 24,225
Message 7 of 10

Good Day, 

I got T460s Laptop - Thinkpad (Machine Type Model : 20FAS0VM00 and Serial Number : PC***** ).

I can’t find out the detailed specs of my machine and I want to make sure if it has the wireless wide area network (wireless WAN) feature ?

I’ve tried several times to get the detailed specs from pcsupport.lenovo.com , but unfortunately it didn’t work out .

Would you please help me in getting my machine’s detailed specs and getting to know if it has  the wireless wide area network (wireless WAN) feature.

Regards,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,219
Message 8 of 10

Hi, Abd2

There isn't a wwan card in the factory confiiguration of your laptop. Laptop is "wwan ready" only, i.e.has the SIM card reader and wwan antennas set.

What specification details do you need?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Abd2
Paper Tape
Views: 24,200
Message 9 of 10

Hi x220 forme,

Thank you for your feedback, but still didn’t get the answer for my query.

What does it mean (Laptop is "wwan ready" only, i.e.has the SIM card reader and wwan antennas set) ? is this enough to install the SIM card and into the SIM card reader and activate the internet connection via the SIM card ?

I’ve followed the ThinkPad T460s manual’s instructions regarding SIM card installation ( page 119 + page 120 ) but the SIM didn’t work !!

What shall I do to make it working? What is missing? Please advise.

Would you please email me my machine’s detailed specs ? I’ll be thankful

Regards,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,190
Message 10 of 10

> is this enough to install the SIM card and into the SIM card reader and activate the internet connection via the SIM card ?

> What is missing?

you need a separate wwan card from the list of Lenovo approved for this laptop, to insert it to internal slot. The list is very short:
- Sierra Wireless em7455, Lenovo service p/n (FRU) 00JT542 or 01AX748
- Huawei ME906S, FRU 00JT491 or 01AX717

Another, even similar, wwan modems will not work in T460s.

The decvision depends on several factors:
- the location where you need wwan access on the laptop
- cellular operator you prefer
- network technologies (2g/3g/LTE) the operator provides in your location, which one is enough for you at worst
- modem availability in your location
- the price you are ready to spend

Both cards have specific features which don't match all LTE operators in Saudi Arabia. But compromise decision is possible.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors