The following instructions may be helpful to customers who wish to install Windows 7, 64 bit versions on ThinkPad systems with UEFI enabled BIOS. Note that 32 bit versions of Windows do not support the UEFI features, so only 64 bit versions can be enabled by 64bit UEFI firmware.
The installation of a Microsoft 64 bit Windows Operating System onto Lenovo Thinkpads with UEFI BIOS capability is very similar to a 32 bit install. The main difference is the BIOS configuration and HDD configuration prior to actual OS install.
2) After flashing bios, load bios defaults by pressing F1 at the Lenovo Thinkpad logo during POST, then pressing F9 to load bios defaults.
3) Navigate to Startup menu option of Bios and Select Boot from left menu choice and select UEFI/Legacy Boot. Select UEFI only. Select UEFI/Legacy Boot Priority and ensure UEFI First is enabled.
4) Press F10 to save BIOS configuration and reboot the system.
5) Insert the Windows 64 bit Install DVD to begin the OS install. Note: Windows Vista 64 bit requires a DVD with Service Pack 1 slipstreamed. Press F12 to launch the Interactive Boot Menu and select the appropriate DVD drive to boot.
6) After the operating system has been installed and windows OOBE has completed, install the appropriate 64 bit Ethernet device driver.
7) The easiest method for the remainder of Lenovo Device Drivers is to install ThinkVantage System Update. There is a minimum device driver version for use on Windows 7 systems installed via UEFI bios. TVSU will automatically install the correct versions.