Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lurka
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,593
Message 1 of 3

Installing graphics drivers obtained from Intel

Hi,

Intel recommends to use vendor drivers, if available. I have a T450 (Win7 x64) with Intel HD Graphics 5500. The latest drivers available from Lenovo is ver. 10.18.14.4206 (April 2015), but I have problems with some 3D games. Is it advisable to install more recent drivers obtained directly from Intel? And what version exactly? Because there are many available:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+graphics+driver

Thank you,

/_urka

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,577
Message 2 of 3

Re: Installing graphics drivers obtained from Intel

Be advised that the Intel installer for graphics will probably fail because it will detect an OEM installation.  --If, of course, your Windows is the Lenovo image that the laptop came with. 

In order to install an update, download the zip version of the driver you want and then use Device Manager>Update Driver, and point to the folder where you unzipped the files. 

Searching Intel  for "Intel HD Graphics 5500" gives the same page you linked.  The top driver looks to be the most current. 

Edit:  As always with Intel drivers, set a restore point first. 

Lurka
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,049
Message 3 of 3

Re: Installing graphics drivers obtained from Intel

Hello everybody,
I'm resuming this ages-old topic just for the same original reason: now switching from T450 to T470 on Windows 7.

Lenovo display driver package for the T470 - Win7x64 is over one year old (probably because support is now focused on Windows 10). I'm having issues with some applications (namely, the Dolphin game console emulator).

Intel has released more recent drivers for the HD Graphics 520. The Lenovo T470 doesn't seem to implement any display driver customization. It just shows the standard Intel Graphics control panel, so I think it is safe to try a manual update, isn't it?

On a side note, I am a little disappointed with the Intel 520 graphics chipset. The 5500 was nearly perfect and I thought that switching to the 520 could only be an improvement, but OMG... errors, crashes and crackling audio, too. Do you think it's just a matter of drivers update?

Thank you,
Lurka

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors