Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danweber
What's DOS?
Views: 3,406
Message 1 of 4

Integrated vs Discreet Graphics - Windows 7 Windows Experience Index

I got a new T420 laptop with the Nvidia Optimus feature and the dual graphics cards. I did some comparison between the two graphics cards and was stunned by the result. What I used for the comparison was the Windows 7 Windows Experience Index and not any sophisticated benchmarking tool.

If I enable only the Integrated Intel HD3000 graphics card in the BIOS Windows reports:

• Desktop Performance for Windows Aero: 6.4
  • 3D business and gaming graphics performance: 6.4

I do the same test but only enable the Discreet NVidia 4200M graphics card in the Bios:

• Desktop Performance for Windows Aero: 5.0
  • 3D business and gaming graphics performance: 6.5

How in the world can the integrated graphics card be better than the discreet one? I assume the problem is how Windows is testing the performance but it still is unbelievable.

Dan

luky
Punch Card
Views: 3,398
Message 2 of 4

Re: Integrated vs Discreet Graphics - Windows 7 Windows Experience Index

@danweber

How to set the T420 to use only Windows Optimus NVidia card and not integrated Intel graphics card?

danweber
What's DOS?
Views: 3,374
Message 3 of 4

Are you asking how to switch between the cards? You do that in the BIOS under Config -> Display.

Guru
Views: 3,354
Message 4 of 4

1st, Did you enable Detect NVIDIA Optimus for OS in the BIOS? If yes, disabled it. As enabling this options would force Nvidia Optimus mode to run.

2nd, Update your Intel iGPU drivers
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20035&ProdId=3231&lang=eng&OSVersion=... 

If they state computer does not meet the requirement etc, uninstall your current Intel driver and install the latest driver from the website above. 

3rd, Update your Nvidia dGPU drivers
Update your Nvidia graphic drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

@danweber

I do the same test but only enable the Discreet NVidia 4200M graphics card in the Bios: 

• Desktop Performance for Windows Aero: 5.0
  • 3D business and gaming graphics performance: 6.5

Mainly, this is due to the slow pickup of Nvidia Optimus. The main graphics would be iGPU and the latest driver would improve the pick up of secondary graphics (Nvidia) to improve performance and fix bugs too. 

Note: Nvidia Control Panel also have switching options.
Go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings, change the preferred graphics processor. 
Auto-select, High Performance NVIDIA Process or Integrated Graphics.
Auto-select, it would only switch to Nvidia dGPU if the application / processes requires.

Difference between the switch in NVIDIA Control Panel and BIOS is
BIOS - Let you physically disable iGPU, dGPU or run both (Optimus)
NVIDIA Control Panel - Let you configure what you want to use at the moment.

I would still recommend to leave as default settings in BIOS or NVIDIA Control Panel to achieve maximum battery life or performance. (depend on your usage)

Best Regards
Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

I would welcome T520 or W520 users to try this sound optimization:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors