Options

176 Posts

12-06-2017

GB

298 Signins

2557 Page Views

• Views: 2557
  • Message 1 of 3

Intel AMT gone from Bios after WiFi card replacement with vPro part.

2018-11-13, 22:03 PM

Hi all,

My T460p came with a 8260NGW, FRU 00JT530, and it is a vPro part.

I had it replaced with a 9260NGW, but while the card worked fine, the AMT menu (and prompt for the configuration shortcut at boot menu) disappeared.

I did a bit more research and found there are actually two different FRU's, one is vPRO (01AX771) the other isn't (01AX769 ).

The first 9260 was indeed a non vPRO part and as such I replaced it with my 8260 (after my motherboard was replaced) while I ordered a vPRO part (01AX771). AMT was back in the bios menu with the 8260 (note: also new motherboard), but as soon as I replaced it with the 01AX771 part (vPRO) it is gone again.

Anybody cares to explain or advise on the topic?

Thanks!

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Options

7584 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76748 Signins

2145383 Page Views

• Views: 2145383
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Intel AMT gone from Bios after WiFi card replacement with vPro part.

2018-11-13, 22:35 PM

Howdy,

I can't explain or advise.  What I can do is guess.

I've heard from others that the WLAN whitelist still exists in BIOS, but isn't enforced as a boot-time lockout.  It is possible that it is used to distinguish vPRO from non-vPRO cards.  This instead of probing card capabilities somehow.

Just a WAG... and not very helpful...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

176 Posts

12-06-2017

GB

298 Signins

2557 Page Views

• Views: 2557
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Intel AMT gone from Bios after WiFi card replacement with vPro part.

2018-11-13, 23:14 PM

That is my guess too, that there still exist some sort of whitelist, but I cannot establish what kind of whitelist that is and what it does.

Because the part I now use is a vPro part, but still, it is not "allowed" to function as vPro. Also what kind of whitelist removes the AMT menu and the Ctrl+P shortcut from the bios permanently(?) if you swap the original card with a different one. Because there are reports that even after the original card has been restored, the AMT menu does not reappear.

Is the card S/N linked to the motherboard bios somehow? If that's the case I missed out on the opppotunity, as I had my motherboard replaced and at the time this happened I only had the original 8260 card available. So when the technicial entered my laptop's S/N to the bios, maybe (and this is a guess) the bios reads the S/N of the wifi card at the time and sticks with it. 

Who knows? Anybody from Lenovo?

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save