Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pvanberlo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,619
Message 1 of 3

Intel AT permanently disabled

Hi,

so, I messed up - I have LoJack for Laptops on my T420, decided to move to Linux, saw no need of using the Intel AT feature, decided to disable it in the bios. Now it's permanently disabled, which of course sounds horrible ;-) Does anyone know if Lenovo has some way, whatever way, to re-enable it in the future besides replacing hardware? I'd assume, since it's a BIOS option, that it would be as simple as installing a special bios which re-enables it.

Also, under the Anti-Theft section in the bios, it now says the Current State is Locked - I have not noticed any bad side effects when running Windows or Linux, I even tried re-installing LoJack/Computrace to see if there's some kind of removal procedure to get rid of Computrace completely - but apparently that doesn't work. I honestly don't really care either, since I'm permanently moving to Linux on the T420 - just wondering if the 'Locked' status is something really horrible.

Thanks.

-Paul

pvanberlo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,609
Message 2 of 3

Re: Intel AT permanently disabled

Okay, I guess this is fixed. Eventhough things are permanently disabled, and apparently this can only be fixed if you replace hardware - I did manage to get rid of Computrace by reinstalling it and following the removal procedure. Once that was removed I also permanently disabled it.

JDay
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,579
Message 3 of 3

Re: Intel AT permanently disabled

You goofed by selecting the permanant disable option, this option actually causes a trace in a chip to melt itself open (like a burnt out fuse). The only way to get this option back is to have the mainboard replaced. There was also no reason to disable this option when installing Linux since Intel AT is OS independent, it will even work after a complete reinstall of the OS.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors