07-17-2009 12:31 PM
I understand alot of people are having issues with the DVI port on a T400 with adv. mini dock.
Has anyone figured this out? We have a Director that would like to use his TV to show presentations. We downgraded to XP all the drivers are up to date along with the BIOS. The really odd thing is with the DVI cable hooked up and the TV on the Intel graphics driver only shows the T400's LCD as the only option. When we turn the TV Off and we get the option for a digital display..
Almost seems like something is backwards. The cable itself is fine it works great with a T61.
Any help would be much appreciated.
07-17-2009 04:02 PM - edited 07-17-2009 04:10 PM
Welcome to the Lenovo forum
Does your Director's T400 have the switchable (ATI + Intel) graphics, or Intel graphics only? (Can you please post the 7-digit machine type code, XXXX-YYY from the label on the bottom?)
Edit: And I guess you're connecting to a digital input of the TV, like HDMI or DVI?
07-17-2009 11:13 PM
07-18-2009 03:51 AM
the T400 even with the integrated GPU should have DVI out support through the docks.
Yes, BUT (AFAIK): T400's with switchable GPU can NOT drive the dock's DVI-D output when running the Intel GPU. They must be set to use the ATI GPU in order to use the dock DVI-D. That's what I was getting at, and why I asked for the machine type model number...
07-20-2009 01:16 PM
Thanks for posting the ThinkPad's model number.
It should be able to output digital video from your advanced mini dock's DVI port. I don't know why you're having trouble doing so. A few things you could try:
1) Control Panel: Display: Settings: Advanced: Monitor
Uncheck the box "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display".
2) Connect another monitor with DVI or HDMI input to the advanced mini dock with the T400 in it, to see if DVI works with that monitor. If possible, it would be good to try a display meant for use as a computer monitor, as opposed to another TV.
3) Could you please post some more information about TV you're having trouble with (with the T400 at least)? Like make and model number?
07-21-2009 08:34 AM
The TV Info
The strangest part like i said is that when you turn the TV off the T400 finds it as a digital display. But as soon as you turn it on it goes away. The TV works fine with a T61 using XP.
07-21-2009 10:56 AM
I don't have a fix for you, only more questions:
1) Could you please specify exactly the OS your T400 is running? I think you said XP, I assume SP3, 32-bit?Did you try with Vista as well?
2) If you try this, what happens?:
Press F1 at boot to get to BIOS Setup
Go to the Config: Display menu and for Boot Display Device select DVI
Save BIOS settings and exit
Put T400 in dock, with DVI -> HDMI cable attached & connected to your TV
Power on TV, select HDMI input
Power on T400
Is the boot screen shown on your TV, or on the T400's integrated screen?
3) I assume you've tried pressing Fn-F7 to switch between the internal screen and the external HDTV?
I searched a bit for others reporting problems using Intel GMA X4500MHD to drive an HDTV, and found this:
Doesn't apply exactly to your situation, since the person there was running Vista. And they didn't find a solution.
A utility that sometimes helps in cases like this is EnTech PowerStrip. On the other hand, sometimes it only adds complexity without helping.