cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arhagar
What's DOS?
Views: 2,413
Message 1 of 3

Intel Integrated graphics vs Dedicated graphics card ?

I intend to buy a new laptop - primary use is MS Office, watching movies / live webstreams and browsing. However, I do use it for video editing occasionally using a software called "Pinnacle Studio MovieBox". This software has a reqmnt for "direct x 9 or 10 compatible graphics card with 128 MB"

Currently I have HP G42-478TX, which works great.

As I look to buy a new laptop, if I go for an i3/i5 intel core processor (windows 8/10) laptop with Integrated graphics card (NO dedicated graphics card), will it be sufficient to run the above software? Or will I need a dedicated NVIDIA type graphics card ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,399
Message 2 of 3

Re: Intel Integrated graphics vs Dedicated graphics card ?

Hi and welcome, arhagar

Even outdated (a bit) laptop with CPU and integrated graphics chip Intel HD 4000 supports DirectX 11. Of course, the memory is shared, its size is more then 128 MB.

So, purchase almost any IvyBridge based on or later laptop, integrated graphics chip might be enough for the basic video editing tasks. It'd be good to choose models with dual channel memory support, 12...16 GB and even more memory installed, depending on the video file size. Also SSD is a must have drive, IMO, so, input/output operations will be not a bottleneck.

Definitely, dedicated graphics chip might increase video editing performance.

To compare different mobile graphics chips take a look at this benchmark list, for example. Do you need significant graphics performance for the video editing tasks only, not for the hi-res video demonstration or gaming? That'd be an answer.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,384
Message 3 of 3

Re: Intel Integrated graphics vs Dedicated graphics card ?

The full-motion high-speed games are the tasks that really use the dedicated graphics. As far as the video editing, it depends on what kind of tasks you are doing. If you are doing things like HD rendering, it will be faster with discreet video.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors