cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oathbound
Paper Tape
Views: 4,610
Message 1 of 6

Intel Management Update 11.8.55.3510 Firmware update frozen at 99% (t460p)

Howdy,

I've got a t460p thinkpad, running win10.  It has the dock, and 2 monitors are usually attached to the dock.

My lenovo system update wanted me to install the critical security [urgent] update to my intel management engine, the update is to version 11.8.55.3510.  I followed all the instructions, closing nearly everything and the update proceeded normally and quickly, until it froze. 
The system updater says "installing: Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware - 7 [32/64]/8.1/10 [64]"  and
"Overall Progress:  91%"

The cmd window that's showing the actual install says "FW Update:  [ 99% (-)] Do Not Interrupt"  but the little progress spinning thing has not spun in a long time. (40+ minutes)

Every so often (every 5mins?), it the upper progress bar in the "system update" will backup a little bit...then it will move forward again a minute or so later. 

Umm...I need to use my computer.  It's been about 45 minutes that I've been looking at this screen with no change (other than the backup-forward cha-cha in the gui progress bar).

(image to help)
firmwarehung_intel_me_11_8.png

(the progress bar is in it's full position, this is what it looks like after the top progress bar moves forward again after backing up a wee bit, when it backs up, it just doubles that gray area at the end, it doesn't move back a whole lot).

I am guessing I cannot restart at this point. Can I abort the install and try again? 

oathbound
Paper Tape
Views: 4,591
Message 2 of 6

Re: Intel Management Update 11.8.55.3510 Firmware update frozen at 99% (t460p)

Pushing 2hours at 99%.

I'm wondering if I could kill this install and then try it again?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 4,588
Message 3 of 6

That stinks... I feel your pain.

I wish I had some clever advice...
Alas, I have no clue :-(
If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
oathbound
Paper Tape
Views: 4,578
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the solidarity, Jim.   =))

I think what's happened is that a windows update also ran (told me it was waiting till later, but ran anyway).  Both want to do a restart.  I think that windows is holding the 'do a restart pls' optoin, and since the ime updater can't ask me to do the restart, it's sitting at 99%.

Being able to view the updater's logs from this process would help but I cannot find any logs from this year in any lenovo or intel folder.  Will update if I find a log.

Highlighted
oathbound
Paper Tape
Views: 4,569
Message 5 of 6

It does not appear the process writes logs and none of the events appear under the intel ME's access/change history in device manager.

Solution found:
After consulting with intel, they suggested that if the process is at 99% and not spinning, restart your computer and attempt the install again, possibly manually, using the installer (only) downloaded directly from lenovo's site, not through windows update or the system updater application. 

After restarting and logging back in, the lenovo system update immediately relaunched the installation, I proceeded as I had before without issues this time.  So I did not even need to use the version available for DL on the site (which is good, because the README file for that DL is absolutely inaccurate about the steps one needs to follow, where to find things, and refers to unpacking an archive...which it never mentions how to get.)...

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 4,553
Message 6 of 6

Glad you got it fixed....
Alas that's a day you'll never get back... :-/
If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors