Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrisHansen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,570
Message 1 of 15

Intel Pro 5400s SSD failures!!!!!!

We have had now 5 of these Intel SSD 5400s fail in our less than 1 year old T470 thinkpads. We deployed over 40 of them last summer, I'd hate to think we'll have to redo all that work. Anyone out there with similar fail rates?

Guru
Views: 1,550
Message 2 of 15

Re: Intel Pro 5400s SSD failures!!!!!!

Hi Kris

Could I please ask if each of these failures had a support case with Lenovo support reported and repairs performed?

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
KrisHansen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,548
Message 3 of 15

We did report these, and were sent a hard drive to replace each dead one, but then were spending hours of time re configuring machines.
Guru
Views: 1,543
Message 4 of 15

Thank you for the feedback.

Could I please ask if these 5 were of the same model of T470 and may I ask what the model of these failures might be?

Thank you.

Currently Using: ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, Thinkpad 10, Yoga 910
KrisHansen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,537
Message 5 of 15

They were all t470 20hd-004bus

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,522
Message 6 of 15

Hello,

If you haven't already could you please ensure that your systems have the following firmware installed; the installation process will tell you which version is installed along with the update version.

https://support.lenovo.com/sk/en/downloads/ds038904

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

KrisHansen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,498
Message 7 of 15

I can verify once we receive a drive. Honestly, with my experience with SSDs dropping dead, this is not a warm fuzzy feeling for me, firmware update or not.

If the original firmware is somehow harmful to the SSD, you'd think that Lenovo would push out updates via vantage, or warn customers that such a condition exists. 

This also means I need to hunt down each 470 in our fleet and run updates on them, if Vantage can't do it automatically. 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,470
Message 8 of 15

The driver was released mid-October 2018 and the package was included in Vantage listed as a critical update for the T470 - 20HD, here's a link to the package txt file.
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/fwsd482813.txt

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

KrisHansen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,458
Message 9 of 15

We were sent a PCIe stick drive instead of SATA. The person on the chat doesn't even know the difference. This is insanely frustrating. 

solarusar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,010
Message 10 of 15

Here at our company, we also feel your frustration.
Please see my post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Lenovo-T460-with-Intel-SSD-Pro-5400s-256...

We have over 3,000 active t460's with this SSD in them. Our team replaced a good number of them with brand new SSD's before finding out that a FW update was available which specifically addresses the issue and 9/10 times fixes even the ones we thought dead.

What's more frustrating is Lenovo has not yet pushed this to their System Update control center. If Lenovo isn't going to be proactive and take the time to update the firmware on each SSD before deploying (known) faulty hardware, then they should be at the very least making this a critical update within System Update.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors