cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teqonix
Paper Tape
Views: 14,216
Message 1 of 5

Intel VT-x on T440? (64-bit Virtual Machine Support)

[Edit: SOLVED! I didn't realize that VT-d builds on top of VT-x; Hyper-V was able to boot 64-bit VM's just fine.  I will post a solution if I figure out why VirtualBox could not boot 64-bit guests.]

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if Intel VT-x is supported on the Thinkpad T440?  I know that it supports Intel VT-d, but the VT-x option is not an option I can enable in the BIOS (version 2.27).   Intel ARK shows that the Core i7 4600U supports VT-x, though: Intel ARK - i7 4600U

I'm a power user, so it's extremely frustrating I can't run 64-bit guest VM's. 

is1981
802.11n
Message 2 of 5

Re: Intel VT-x on T440? (64-bit Virtual Machine Support)

Unfortunately I fear you do not understand what VT-x is: VT-d vs VT-x.

teqonix
Paper Tape
Views: 14,178
Message 3 of 5

Ah, thank you for the link!  I didn't realize that VT-d builds on top of VT-x.  

Also, in my frustration last night I didn't try making a 64-bit VM with Hyper-V instead of just Virtualbox.  Sure enough, the VM booted in 64-bit mode with Hyper-V.  The problem must be that I can't have multiple Hypervisors running at the same time on the machine (Hyper-V must gain exclusive access to the subsystems that allow 64-bit operations). 

I'll continue to play around with my configuration (the most likely case will be disabling Hyper-V) and see if I can get VirtualBox to start 64-bit VM's. 

Highlighted
teqonix
Paper Tape
Views: 14,162
Message 4 of 5

Sure enough, it was Hyper-V preventing any other application from even seeing the Intel Virtualization enhancements:

Before diabling Hyper-V: 

WithHyperV.PNG

After disabling Hyper-V (using bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off):

WithoutHyperV.PNG

Virtualbox is now happily running a Server 2008 R2 instance. Smiley Happy  Thanks for the help!  Hopefully this helps someone else that runs into the same thing.

nosrevi
What's DOS?
Views: 13,176
Message 5 of 5

wow~ it helps a lot. thanks! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors