08-08-2012

USA

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 1 of 4

Intel WIFI LINK 5150 disappears when case gently flexed

2013-10-17, 1:16 AM

I have a T400 running Windows Pro 7 64x. When grabbing the unit to pickup/move (usually in the front left palm rest area), the flexing of the case causes the wifi adapter to stop working & disappear from the device manager. Sometimes searching the device manager for hardware updates will allow for the 5150 to be "discovered". However, this likely will only work once. If lost again, the unit needs to be rebooted to be found again.

Is this an issue with main board, or can an daughter board somehow be reset in the connector to resolve?

Options

7963 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77039 Signins

2174533 Page Views

• Views: 2174533
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Intel WIFI LINK 5150 disappears when case gently flexed

2013-10-17, 2:06 AM

It's probably worth reseating the wifi card after gently cleaning its contacts.

The hardware maintenance manual has instructions on access:  http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6629_05.pdf

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-10-17, 4:18 AM

unipike,

Welcome to the forum!  This seems to be  an odd issue.   Have a look at the exploded diagram for the system here.

The wifi card is not under the palmrest area - it is a seperate card and should be in about the middle of the system under the keyboard.   You could try to remove the keyboard and then remove the 2 screws holding in the card (it will have 2 or 3 wires going to it.  2 wire will be grey and black, and 3 wire will be grey, white and black) pull the card and reseat it.

Has the system ever been serviced?  If so, maybe something odd is going on.  

I could make some other guesses - for example, there is the sliding master wifi on / off switch.  I think it is on the front toward the left side and the mechanical part of the slide switch is part of the bottom cover, but it fits over a smaller micro slide switch on the system board.   Perhaps if the solder connections for the switch are cracked, if the board flexes a bit when the system is handled, the switch effectively cuts off the card?

Mark

Options

7963 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77039 Signins

2174533 Page Views

• Views: 2174533
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-10-17, 4:47 AM

I like Mark's switch idea.  Does it look like the keyboard bezel (palmrest) is in place?  Could it be distorted and pressing on the switch somehow?

Hmm,  just took a look at my T400.  Seems  ulikely.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete