Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tapatingo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,189
Message 1 of 4

Intel WiFi Link 5300 agn card not able to turn on via Fn+F5

I've read a dozen postings and think I know what's going on but hopefully someone can simplify it for me.

With the Realtek RTL8191SE I am experiencing 4-5 minute boot times and WiFi connect times on my T400S (2801).  I decided to get the Intel WiFi Link 5300 agn card (533AN_MWW) to allow 5ghz connections and eliminate the Realtek problems.  I installed the card, connected the wires properly (Grey1, Black2, White3), hardware WiFi antenna switch is on, card is recognized by Windows, Intel 14.3.2.1 driver, driver is enabled but when I open Access Connections, no wireless networks are found.  Fn+F5 shows that the 802.11 Wireless Radio is present but with a status of Off.  When I click the Power On button, it turns green and closes automatically 30 seconds later but remains Off and still no networks found.  I don't think this adapter is whitelisted by the BOIS but I could have a different version than Lenovo approves.  I tried the other tips given such as disabling n, turning power management off, etc but to no avail.  Ideas?

Tapatingo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,160
Message 2 of 4

Re: Intel WiFi Link 5300 agn card not able to turn on via Fn+F5

I think I might have figured it out.  There are two PCI Express Mini Card slots on the T400S (2801).  The shorter slot is for WiFi/WiMax cards and the longer slot is for WAN cards.  The longer 5300 cards on the market cannot be used in the longer slot.  Windows recognizes the cards but Access Connections (or maybe the BIOS) does not allow it to operate.  Can anyone verify this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,152
Message 3 of 4

You may find the T400S Hardware Maintenance Manual useful....

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/45m2271.pdf

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,154
Message 4 of 4

@Tapatingo wrote:

I think I might have figured it out.  There are two PCI Express Mini Card slots on the T400S (2801).  The shorter slot is for WiFi/WiMax cards and the longer slot is for WAN cards.  The longer 5300 cards on the market cannot be used in the longer slot.  Windows recognizes the cards but Access Connections (or maybe the BIOS) does not allow it to operate.  Can anyone verify this?

Yes, that seems to be the case. I don't have a T400s but I do have the long Intel Wifi Link 5300 card FRU 43Y6495 in my x200. The WWAN slot is the same size as the WLAN slot on my x200. However, as you have discovered, the WLAN slot and WWAN on the T400s are different sizes. A quick check of pgs. 71-74, sections 1050 and 1060 of the T400s Hardware Maintenance Manual indicates that a half-height wifi card must be used in the half-height WLAN slot and evidently you cannot use one of the long wifi cards by utilizing the WWAN slot. So for example the Intel wifi Link 5300 card FRU 43Y6495 cannot work in your T400 but the half-height version of the Intel Wifi Link 5300 card FRU 43Y6519 would work as noted in T400s System Service Parts here. You also have a few other wifi choices listed for your type "2801" T400s.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors