Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajbaileywi
What's DOS?
Views: 1,677
Message 1 of 15

Intermitent 2101 detection Issues with new T530 and mSATA

Hello!

I just recieved a new T530 I7 and also a Crucial M4 mSata SSD (CT256M4SSD3). The issue I have is sometimes the system will give a 2101 detection error at Post and the only way around it is to power off again, remove the battery/AC and try again. Ive seen other posts regarding this error but no clear resoution.

ajbaileywi
What's DOS?
Views: 1,665
Message 2 of 15

Re: Intermitent 2101 detection Issues with new T530 and mSATA

Called Crucial support.   They had me change the Intel 7 AHCI controller driver from Intel to the Standard Microsoft driver.  They suspect that the Intel driver is causing the drive to not shutdown properly.  I'll see how it performs with the generic driver for awhile.

pjg
802.11n
Views: 1,619
Message 3 of 15

The Error 2101: Detection error on HDDx miniSata is a BIOS error. This has nothing to do with the operating system you have installed or any drivers. During the POST, the system does not see the miniSata drive.

I (like some others) received my new T530 yesterday, setup it all up and then a few hours later received this error.

The solution is simple. You must open up your ThinkPad. Remove the two keyboard screws and remove the keyboard and RE-SEAT the miniSata drive. There is 1 screw holding the board down. Remove it, re-insert it in. Screw everything back up and voila, no more issue. Go to the Lenovo / ThinkPad Guides and Manuals page for your device (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/default.page?) and download the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your ThinkPad. There are clear instructions (for those less inclined) on how to remove the keyboard. You do NOT need to disconnect the ribbon cable. Simple / carefully slide the keyboard forward and the miniSata drive will be visible and accessible.

You can also use the ExpressCache program to get stats on the miniSata drive and see how it is working. Open a Command Prompt (in Administrator Mode) and issue the command:

eccmd -info   -   Display ExpressCache activity informatio

eccmd -?   -  Will show you all options

eccmd -format   - Will reformat and clear the cache drive.

Hopefully, this will help out those out there with this issue. Just remember, if the BIOS doesn't see the device, it is not a driver problem !

Peribanu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,592
Message 4 of 15

I'm having exactly the same issue with a new W520 and a Crucial mSATA SSD, latest (Win8) BIOS update. I installed it, it worked fine for a few days, then wham, 2101 Detection Error. I take it out, reseat it, leave the computer off without battery for an hour or so, and it works again. Two days later, suddenly same problem occurs. Is it the drive, the BIOS, or a mechanical connection error? The thing is firmly screwed in and there's no wiggle room, so it seems unlikely that taking it out and reseating it is really the problem.

DaVideo
Punch Card
Views: 1,533
Message 5 of 15

Same problem here, with a new T530 [2359-CTO], Win7, w/Intel 180GB SSD.

I just installed the Crucial M4 256GB MSATA [CT256M4SSD3] and it's not recognized by Windows Management or in the BIOS.

A rather fun install, but I guess I'll be waiting for a solution on this.

I will try re-seating the card tomorrow and maybe try a very light spritz of Cramolin, too.

DaVideo
Punch Card
Views: 1,513
Message 6 of 15

Yup, reseating the card worked for me, pjg was right!

I first gave the board's contacts a very light buffing with an eraser, reinstalled it, booted, and Windows found the drive.

Next problem:    then it was ''searching preconfigured driver folders'' for about 10 minutes. I gave up and rebooted,  then finally it appeared in the [storage] management console and asked to be initialized.

I did that routine.....it's formatting now. Here's hoping....

DaVideo
Punch Card
Views: 1,488
Message 7 of 15

Update: it's been working perfectly now for the past week.
Altoid666
802.11n
Views: 1,458
Message 8 of 15

Happy New Year..

Have been following your posts and my question is about having both a 180 SSD and a MSata SSD

installed together.  When I ordered my T530 (5439CTO) once I selected the 180 SSD the MSata option

disappeared.  Is there a compatability conflict having both since Lenovo dosen't offer them both.  Do the two

SSDs compete with each other or are their other issues?

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks

P51, 1535M Xeon, 512GB SSD x2,64GB DDR4 ECC, Nvidia M2200M, Win 10 Pro, 4K IPS , Intel vPro, Sierra EM7455, WWAN, Model 20 HH.
T530,Core i7-3820QM,16GB Ram, Samsung 850 SSD 512 GB, Blutooth 4.0,Ultimate-N 6300, 15.6 FHD, Nvidia NVS 5400M., All software current.,Windows 10 Pro x64 , Office 2013 Professional
DaVideo
Punch Card
Views: 1,449
Message 9 of 15

IIRC, on my order configuration page, the only selection that caused the Msata drive option to disappear was choosing the WWAN wireless network card. [only because they would both need to use the same slot.]. It would only allow one or the other.

pjg
802.11n
Views: 1,416
Message 10 of 15

The mSATA when ordered with a traditional drive is a caching drive. But if your main drive is an SSD, then you don't need a caching drive to help it out. It would actually slows things down slightly due to the overhead of maintaining the cache...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors