cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkpadFan82
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 393
Message 1 of 5

Is it possible for a docking station to break the laptop?

Hello. I have a Thinkpad T470 and it worked fine for a few weeks. Just today I received my docking station for it and plugged it in for use with my external monitor. Everything was going great until I noticed that the battery, while it said "charging", was still losing percentage in battery.

I undocked it, which rebooted the laptop, which I thought was weird. At this point I noticed that every time I docked or undocked the laptop, it caused the laptop to reboot. I had a T420 with a docking station and that never happened before.

When I plugged the laptop in directly, I noticed it no longer charges. If I plug the cord directly into the laptop, it's like nothing is plugged in.

If I put the laptop back in the dock, it will say it's charging, but it's not. The battery lost all its charge, and now my laptop no longer boots.

I went through tech support and they had me reset my battery and all that and nothing worked. I even tried a new power cord.

My question is: 1) why did my dock cause my laptop to reboot every time I docked/undocked it?

2) Could the dock really cause my laptop to completely stop charging? It's a 40A1 docking station. I am using a genuine 20V adapter with it. The FRU is FRU 04W3948.

I am getting a replacement T470 but I am worried I am going to ruin that one too and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

ThinkpadFan82
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 297
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is it possible for a docking station to break the laptop?

bump

ThinkpadFan82
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 277
Message 3 of 5

this is pretty bad customer service I gotta admit

SeniorGuru
Views: 268
Message 4 of 5

@ThinkpadFan82 wrote:

this is pretty bad customer service I gotta admit

First, this isn't an official Lenovo support channel staffed by Lenovo. The vast majority of participants on this forum are Lenovo customers who volunteer their time to help others. 

That said, the absence of responses to your questions suggests to me that yours is a unique situation. Otherwise there would either be "me too" posts, suggestions or a definitive answer.

As for whether the dock could cause a ThinkPad to malfunction, I suppose it's possible. Make sure the latest version of firmware for your dock is installed.

Also, is your docking station compatible with the T470? See Docks Finder

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 266
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is the 4A01 which is compatible. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors