cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amast
Blue Screen Again
Views: 267
Message 1 of 5

Is it possible to connect 2 external monitors to a Thinkpad T430 with a Thinkpad mini dock series 3?

I have a Thinkpad T430 type 23474W4 and a Thinkpad mini dock series 3 type 4338-15U. I already have a Lenovo LEN LS2223wC monitor hooked up to it through one of the DVI ports. I have a Lenovo LT1952p Monitor that I would like to use as a second external monitor. Both monitors work individually through either DVI or VGA. However, I can't get them to both work at the same time no matter what configuration I use. I was told they didn't have to be identical monitors to work together. What am I doing wrong?

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 233
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is it possible to connect 2 external monitors to a Thinkpad T430 with a Thinkpad mini dock serie

Make sure you use the correct DVI port, when you attach the 2nd monitor using a VGA cable.  VGA port  is shared with one DP and one DVI port. Take a look at the setup poster.

I'm not sure the T430 system supports 3 displays, so maybe you also need to disable internal display by closing the lid. 

amast
Blue Screen Again
Views: 222
Message 3 of 5

Re: Is it possible to connect 2 external monitors to a Thinkpad T430 with a Thinkpad mini dock serie

Thanks for the diagram. Unfortunately disabling the internal display did not work with any combination of VGA and DVI ports. I haven't been able to try the HDMI cable though as I do not have one yet. A new one will be arriving Monday. I'm not sure if that has any hope of working or not but I will try. One can only hope. I will let you know how that expiriment goes.

I would like to note though that the dock is certified refurbished. Not sure if that makes a difference.

In the mean time, do you know of any laptops that would be better compatable with this dock and monitor setup? I've had this laptop for a few years, so I'm not completely against getting a new one if I have to. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

amast
Blue Screen Again
Views: 193
Message 4 of 5

Well I tried the display cable (not hdmi, not sure why I got those 2 mixed up when I wrote the last post). Doesn't work in conjunction with any of the other ports. Nothing works. It doesn't even work to disable the internal display. Now I'm suspicious it might be a faulty dock. It's a refurbished dock, a refurbished laptop, and refurbished monitors. The monitors and laptop work fine on their own though so my only theory now is that it must be the dock. Smiley Sad

Thanks for trying. I appreciate the advice.

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 160
Message 5 of 5

I would check if your display port cable do actually work! Maybe try another one you're sure is working with another setup.

If you have a mini DP to DP cable or a mini DP to DVI adapter you could also try connecting both monitors to laptop directly, not using the dock at all. Just as a test, undock laptop first.

Also when you tried connecting both monitors via DVI and VGA, which monitor was not recognized?  I remember earlier systems (I had  a HP laptop with HD4000 gfx)  sometimes did have problems detectins ext. monitors.  Usually I had to disable extend desktop, disconnect and reconnect monitor, and enable ext. monitor again.  Sometime a system reboot was needed  to get thigs going.  

So maybe disable extending desktop, reboot system with laptop screen disabled  and see what happens. Usually you should see desktop on at least one of the monitors. Then you could try to detect monitors, best use the Intel Graphics Control Panel in case you have Windows installed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors