cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjames5
Punch Card
Views: 15,801
Message 11 of 238

Re: Is it possible to replace the button-less touchpad of a T440s with the 3-button touchpad of a T4

T450(S): 100x74mm

X250: 87x72mm

X250:

t450s.jpg

T450S:

x250.jpg

jjames5
Punch Card
Views: 15,767
Message 12 of 238

Re: Is it possible to replace the button-less touchpad of a T440s with the 3-button touchpad of a T4

Succes!!

Popped right into the T440s, and worked right away with the current driver. The thinkpad special tab in mouse properties even shows a touchpad with buttons and special options for that now.

This is so sweet. My T440s went from an annoying machine just waiting for an upgrade to a T450S or X1 carbon, to an almost perfect machine..

For the procedure itself, a lot of the stuff specified in the HMM as needed to be removed, was really needed. Only things i had to disassemble was HDD, Batteries, Fan assembly, wires for the speakers and fingerprint reader. Then the systemboard could be loosend and angled up so the touchpads could be exchanged. I took off the keboard, but now i can't really see why that was needed.

Next up, the X240

Final result:

t440s_mod.jpg

ftakopysk
What's DOS?
Views: 15,759
Message 13 of 238

that's great news!! I think I am gonna change the touchpad soon too Smiley Happy

Highlighted
rafikiphoto
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,744
Message 14 of 238

I would love to do the conversion but, unfortunately, I am 'mechanically challenged'! It could be a very costly exercise on my part. Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 15,686
Message 15 of 238

Regarding the comments on the disassembly, the instructions in the manual are for removing the keyboard bezel, not exposing the touchpad from below so it could be swapped while the bezel and keyboard were still in place. You couldn't take out the keyboard bezel without removing the keyboard. A lot of interest in the touchpad swap comes from owners of the 15.6" machines - T540/W540. That process should be MUCH easier. You remove the battery, the door on the bottom and the keyboard. The keyboard bezel can then be removed. I always caution about replacing parts that are not considered customer-replaceable on machines that are under warranty

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mikeyyy
Punch Card
Views: 15,654
Message 16 of 238

Did u order from the eBay link posted above?
jjames5
Punch Card
Views: 15,630
Message 17 of 238

Yes i got it from the EBay link above.

A small update re. the driver. My T440S had version 18.0.7.57 of the synaptics driver. A quick system update installed a never version .100 that did not work with the buttons. I also tried an even newer X1 driver. That did also no work. So back to the working version... no big problem!

mikeyyy
Punch Card
Views: 15,590
Message 18 of 238

18.0.7.57 with this synaptics driver everything works? Two finger scroll? Middle track point scroll? Everything?
jjames5
Punch Card
Views: 15,585
Message 19 of 238

Yes

Middle trackpoint scroll 

two finger scroll

pinch zoom

and possibly the rest of the win8 gestures, i just normally don't use others.

J

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 15,554
Message 20 of 238

Nice work Smiley Happy  Do the new buttons sit low enough that they won't scuff the screen when closed?

Regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors