cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
7Row_FTW
Paper Tape
Views: 834
Message 231 of 238

Re: Is it possible to replace the button-less touchpad of a T440s with the 3-button touchpad of a T4

It seems to me that the Hardware ID shown in Device Manager has probably nothing to do with the actual pad installed, and is merely reporting the ID of the pad that was *factory* installed. At least in my experience, it cannot be relied upon for determining which driver to install. 

I found that if I loaded a driver and the "Thinkpad" tab appeared, I had the driver/pad manufacturer correctly matched. If things didn't work properly (like showing it as a clickpad instead of a 3-button) then that means I didn't have the exact driver version correct, even though the manufacturer was correct. Example: I loaded a newish Synaptics driver for Pad #2, it loaded the Thinkpad tab, but loaded as if it was a ClickPad. I then loaded an older Synaptics Driver (the magical 18.0.7.57 driver: n10gx25w.exe) and it showed the buttons. 

For Pad #1, I used the following process: 

- Install 3-button pad

- Uninstall the Synaptics drivers using Add/Remove Programs

- Reboot

- Device Manager should show pad as a Generic PS/2 Mouse

- Run the E450 Alps pad installer: j5gj08ww.exe

- Let it unpack, but install will fail.

- In Device Manager, update driver for the PS/2 Mouse using the "Let Me Choose" and "Have Disk" options

- Point to the Alps unpack location (should be C:\Drivers\ALPSUltraNav\Vi64\Apfiltr.inf

- Reboot

- Control Panel > Mouse should now show the Thinkpad tab. 

- Use Registry Edit or Group Policy to block Windows from messing with your drivers 

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers...

Sam_K
Punch Card
Views: 821
Message 232 of 238

Re: Is it possible to replace the button-less touchpad of a T440s with the 3-button touchpad of a T4

So which of the 2 TouchPads you purchased from Amazon is easier to get working with the correct drivers, the Alps or the Synaptics?
heynando
Paper Tape
Views: 790
Message 233 of 238

definitely Synaptics is the easiest.

Christoph-GIS
Paper Tape
Views: 770
Message 234 of 238

Thanks for this reminder and conclusion that it is working. This led me to try it again. And indeed, now this well known driver brings the touchpad hardware key working on my TP440s. I don't know why this did not work earlier...

Thanks a lot!

Christoph

@7Row_FTW wrote:

Pad#2: The older Synaptics 18.0.7.57 driver: n10gx25w.exe

Highlighted
7Row_FTW
Paper Tape
Views: 684
Message 235 of 238

Hey guys, I wanted to give another update as we've tried a few more 3-button touchpads and suppliers. We've identified the manufacturers and also tried them all out head-to-head to see which ones feel the best. We were quite surprised at the differences. (Pad #1 and #2 were discussed in my previous post)

Pad #1: "TSZPY" on Amazon. ALPS. $18

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDD1SCH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pad #2: "Eathtek" on Amazon. SYNAPTICS. $25.75

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CN9WJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pad #3: "Tinkinwanhua" on eBay. ALPS. $18.89

https://ebay.us/yAJnnM

Pad #4: "YourLaptopSolutions" on eBay. Synaptics. $26.59

https://ebay.us/5itWKD

Review Criteria: Full Pad "Click" feel & sound. Button Click feel & sound. Tracking accuracy. Tracking surface feel, especially with regard to finger "chatter" when trying to glide extra slowly across the pad. 

Reviews (Best to Worst):

1st Place: Eathtek. This one felt great. Tight pad clicking, quiet but satisfying button clicks. Surface was nice and smooth. Compares very well to a factory T460/560 we have here.

2nd Place: YourLaptopSolutions. This was one almost identical to the Eathtek, but the surface feel was even better. Silky smooth, like glass. Noticeably smoother than our factory T560 pad. The only reason we rated it 2nd was because of annoying "clack" sound when releasing the Left button. The right one was fine, so it is probably just the particular pad we got. We will likely reorder this one when we need more units. 

3rd Place: Tinkin. This one is a pretty big step down. The Full Trackpad click was sloppy and noisy. The trackpad surface feel was definitely usable, but slow sliding produced finger "chattering" and skipping easily. Did not glide like the others. The buttons were fine, if slightly more clicky sounding. 

4th Place: TSZPY. This one had an even sloppier full trackpad click. And it made a terrible loose "rattle" noise when clicked. I think it's the metal distribution bars (like under your space bar) inside the pad not fitting tightly. The surface was the worst of all. Buttons were fine, though.

Do note that we are picky Thinkpad people here in our little IT department. We are pretty sure our employees would not pick out or care about the differences between these unless we pressed them about it. All of the pads install, fit, and work just fine. Certainly they are all better than the horrible ClickPad (of doom). Hopefully someone finds this useful. Even if nobody purchases from these particular sellers, it is helpful to know that you basically get what you pay for with the sub-$20 pads. 

JD2000
Blue Screen Again
Views: 410
Message 236 of 238

Locking Down a Working Trackpad Driver

An update to my earlier post on getting an aftermarket 3 button mouse working on a T440s:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Is-it-possible-to-replace-the-button-les...

After getting Windows 10 PRO to work propertly with the 3 button mouse on my T440s, I completed a few significant windows 10 updates that caused the mouse driver to update to a driver that corresponds to the old click trackpad (without 3 buttons). Thus, the 3 buttons not longer worked.

mouse properties.jpgSystem Settings > Mouse Settings > Additional Mouse options - undesired old style trackpad options

There have been some great disussions in this threat, so hopefully if you got a driver to work properly, you can lock it down preventing windows from updating or changing it. This reasearch is based primarly on this windows tech article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc...

Here are the steps I completed to "lock down" the windows mouse driver so it would no longer update automatically (or manually update for that matter):

1. Obtain the hardware ID for the trackpad device in Device Manager (right click Properties on the Synaptics Pointing Device or desired device for your trackpad). They are arranged with the most specific at the top to the most general at the bottom, so I selected and copied the bottom ID.

Device Details.jpgHardware ID in Device Manager

2. Type "mmc gpedit.msc" in the Start Search box to run the Local Group Policy Management Editor and navigate the hierachy as depicted to "Device Installation Restrictions".  Then, double-click "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs." 

Local Group Policy Management Editor.jpgLocal Group Policy Management Editor3. In the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" screen, set the option Enabled and then click Show... to enter the Hardware Id. 

Prevent installation of devices.jpgPrevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs4. In the Show Contents dialogue, enter the Hardware Id noted in step 1. Enter the value and click ok. 

show contents.jpgShow Contents

5. Click OK on the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" screen to enable the new policy.  The device should now be essentially locked to the driver installed preventing future automatic or manual updates.

NOTE:  Some windows updates could potentially fail with this setting in place so keep it in mind if you have trouble applying windows updates at some point in the future. You can temporary disable this setting if necessary and then complete all steps to install the proper trackpad driver and lock again.

Good Luck!

heynando
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 237 of 238

this is still the latest driver for ALPS by the way = https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/br/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-EDGE-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-E450...  

it's from 2016 but it works in 2019's Windows 10 version 1809 just fine.  

I recommend unplugging from the internet before initializing the removal of old driver and installation of new one. makes everything much easier, otherwise Windows Update starts acting too rapidly before you even get the chance to install the new driver and block it from being automatically replaced.

WarTP
What's DOS?
Views: 332
Message 238 of 238

I know it's been a while since you wrote it, but I am truly thankful to you for that post.

I ordered my T440p in November and I was extensively trying to make the touchpad working, but until this was the most I was able to do make it behave like a mouse, that is the middle button was like mouse wheel and just clicking worked.

Thanks a lot again, I really appreciate it,

You made my day Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors