07-25-2008

USA

16 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 92

Is there a way to swap the Fn key and left Ctrl key

2008-07-25, 12:31 PM

Is there a way to swap the functions of Fn key and left Ctrl key on the keyboard. I'm used to other keyboards where the keys are switched and I keep pressing Fn when I want to press Ctrl.  I figure I'll get used to it eventually, but when I use the laptop in a docking station with a regular keyboard the control key is in one spot and undocked with the Lenovo keyboard the function key is there instead, which makes it hard to get used to.

If not is there a way to disable the Fn + Space bar function that changes the screen resolution. The programs I use use control + space heavily and my screen resolution keeps changing when I don't want it to.

It's a small thing I know, but very maddening.

Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12806 Signins

291235 Page Views

• Views: 291235
  • Message 2 of 92

Re: Is there a way to swap the Fn key and left Ctrl key

2008-07-25, 13:05 PM

dan,

welcome to the forum.

unfortunately Fn and Ctrl cannot be swapped.   this has been suggested by users many times so i'm sure lenovo will give the idea heavy consideration.

Fn + space can be disabled by uninstalling the 'on-screen magnifier' app from the add/remove programs or programs and features control panel depending on whether you use XP or vista.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

5 Posts

07-25-2008

USA

16 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 3 of 92

2008-07-25, 16:51 PM

Thanks, I was able to disable the Fn+SpaceBar using your suggestion.

It's a shame they don't make swapping the keys an option in the Bios setup. This is my first Lenovo laptop and I love just about everything about it, except where they put the Fn key.

Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12806 Signins

291235 Page Views

• Message 4 of 92

2008-07-25, 19:14 PM

glad that helped.

regarding the Fn/Ctrl layout, you might want to take some time and fill out lenovo's keyboard layout survey posted by david hill in his blog: Keyboard Layout Survey: Details Matter.   while i've used thinkpads exclusively for the last 13+ years and am used to the Fn key placement, many new users have a hard time getting used to the key placement.   the ability to remap the keys and/or physically swap them is definitely one worth considering.

Options

5 Posts

07-25-2008

USA

16 Signins

42 Page Views

• Message 5 of 92

2008-07-26, 16:49 PM

Thanks, I took the survey. It's interesting the questions on there were asking about location of keys like page up and page down. I find the position of those keys are not that important to me because I don't use them that much and don't seem to mind looking at the keyboard to find them. Also they are almost always in different spots depending on whether you are on a desktop or laptop keyboard so I guess I'm used to unconsciously switching depending on which keyboard I'm on.

But the left control key is one of the most heavily used, at least by developers like me (control+c to copy, control+v to paste, and control+space for code assist, shift + control + f to format code, shift + control + r to find resources, etc...). I have to hit that Ctrl button 1000 times a day. And the key is in the bottom far left corner on every keyboard (desk top and laptop) I've ever seen until now. Having to remember to look down at the keyboard to find the key is proving difficult and I think is actually hurting my productivity. Especially control+space (when you are expecting a popup to automatically complete the line of code you're working on and instead the screen blinks, resizes and your whole editor loses focus it really breaks your flow of thought, so thanks a million for helping me turn off the silly screen zoom feature).

Hopefully I'll get used to it like with the other keys like page up and page down although I've had the laptop for two weeks and it's proving difficult. If I had know that Thinkpads have this layout and how maddening it would be to get used to it I probably wouldn't have bought it, even though everything else about it is great. It's amazing how such a small thing can become such an irritant.

Well thanks again, and if anybody from Lenovo engineering is reading this post, my vote is for some bios setting on the T61P that swaps the functions of Fn and Left control key. It would save me a lot of grief anyway.

Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12806 Signins

291235 Page Views

• Message 6 of 92

2008-08-02, 13:53 PM

DanDubinsky wrote:

But the left control key is one of the most heavily used, at least by developers like me (control+c to copy, control+v to paste, and control+space for code assist, shift + control + f to format code, shift + control + r to find resources, etc...). I have to hit that Ctrl button 1000 times a day.

i use both the left and right Ctrl and Alt keys countless times per day in photoshop and illustrator since many of the common tasks have shortcuts using these keys.   but, i've also used thinkpads since '95 so i'm used to the Fn key.   for me it's actually more difficult to use a keyboard without that key. :)

Options

2 Posts

09-01-2008

Slovakia

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 7 of 92

Control (Ctrl) key instead of Function (Fn) key!!!

2008-09-01, 14:37 PM

Hello from Slovakia,

I'm happy owner of T61, but I would have never bought it, if I had known about this issue.

I'm accustomed to write without looking on keyboard. I use to write a lot and I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts. Just use Google and you'll see how many people have the same problem.

I really need to swap these two keys. It would be very rational to have this option in BIOS. It can't be done at software level (I tried to, there's no way).

This is a very old issue. If people in Lenovo can't do anything about it, It's a great shame.

Thank you for your answers. ;-)

Options

3258 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 8 of 92

Re: Control (Ctrl) key instead of Function (Fn) key!!!

2008-09-01, 14:50 PM
The Fn key has been in that location for yonks in Thinkpads, people who use Thinkpad alot are use to that. Lenovo is not going to change the location of the key just because couple of people wants it too, then more people will come complaining to Lenovo. You should have tried Thinkpad out before you buy it, learn to live with it, once you are use to it, it won't be as bad.
Options

4 Posts

08-27-2008

USA

7 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 9 of 92

2008-09-02, 3:21 AM

I am with you on this issue. There are countless people who are unsatisfied with Ctrl and Fn swap. Sager notebooks offers such option after noticing a lot of people weren't happy with this swap. It'll be only fair if Lenovo develops a bios option to swap these.  This way one can have option to use it the way they want. I know a lot of people who didn't buy T61 for this reason.

Options

3258 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 10 of 92

2008-09-02, 3:58 AM
There are plenty of people buying Thinkpads because the keyboard has remained the way it is. There are many quirks in Thinkpads only someone use to it will love. These things is what makes Thinkpad a thinkpad.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save