cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssum
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,102
Message 1 of 16

Is upgrading ThinkPad T410 to Windows 10 risky?

I have a T410 with Windows 7 Professional which Microsoft invited to upgrade to Win 10. In "preparing" the computer for Win 10 a message indicated that some functions would not work. I did not realize that in taking the next step (whateve that was at the time) it would gto ahead with the upgrade. I found that the offer to choose "when" to upgrade was a choice of three different pre-assigned days. I had to turn off the computer to stop the upgrade, there was no other way (I tried Task Manager, Process Explorer, Alt F4, etc.). Now it is just reserved and waiting.

My concerns are:

-will an upgrade result in a Windows 10 "Professional"? or will distinctions between "Home" and "Profesional" be lost?

-the preparation process indicated that Intel PROSet/ Wireless would have to be re-installed. As best as I can understand from the Intel site the wireless adaptor | Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN | in the T410 is not supported in Win 10. The Intel site said to go to the manufacturer. Will Lenovo have an update for this?

-Intel PROSet/Wireless may not be critical to me but a wireless driver will be. Will the T410 wireless function still function?

Has anyone had experience with the T410 moving to Win 10?

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,071
Message 2 of 16

Re: Is upgrading ThinkPad T410 to Windows 10 risky?

Hi and welcome, ssum

Officially, upgrade to the win10 on the T410 isn't supported:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535

- win10 reduction matches the source OS.
- definitely, Lenovo will not update the win10 drivers for the Intel 6200 itself, it's a deal of the Intel. But as you noticed there are no upgrades too
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59470/Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N-6200-Dual-Band
- win8/10 manages wireles features from the metro app (Lenovo Settings, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/lenovo-settings/9wzdncrfj12p#app-details) and Charms. For metro app some drivers are needed:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t41...

Note there are not only win10 incompatible laptop components, but applications also.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ThinkPad_87
Core Memory
Views: 6,039
Message 3 of 16

Hi, I would say that it is a bit risky to upgrade your T410 to Win10. Mostly just because it's always risky to upgrade to a new version of operating system - stuff can (and often does) go wrong, even with the most up-to-date equipment. The risk in your case is greater than most, as Lenovo has said that it will not support the T410's. I guess that just means we're on our own to make our ThinkPad's work, without updated Win10 drivers, etc.

I recently updated my T510 to Win10. I had Win 7 Pro 64, so when I upgraded, I got Win 10 Pro. My experience upgrading to Win10 pro has been very positive. For my machine, everything went smoothly, and I had full functionality and was off and running.

However I wanted to do a clean install, mostly to see how fast my old machine could be without Norton and the other programs that ran in the background. So after messing around with the Win10 upgrade for about a week, with full functionality, I did a clean Win10 install. Right away within 10 secs of boot up my machine froze. I rebooted and it froze again while I was just moving the curser around. So after I booted it up a third time I just let it sit there - perhaps it needed time to download some updates? So I gave it some time and came back to it, and everything seemed to work better - after I made sure that it made all the updates and re-booted a few more times.

So now I am enjoying my clean install - my computer is faster without Norton running (or Lenovo's Think software (Center/Vantage, etc. stuff running either). I have Office 13 up and running, and everything looks pretty sharp.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that my wifi drops out or isn't connecting right away when before that was not a problem. Also, after being put to sleep, after a while it seems to shut itself off, so that it won't wake up with a simple tap on the spacebar - perhaps that is a setting I could change.  Anyway, overall, things seem to be working well enough for me.  So far I'm not a big fan of the Win10 user interface - I think the best Windows UI for me was Windows XP or even Windows 2000. But I apreciate the improvements under the hood (security, stability), so I will stay with Win10. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
ThinkPad T440p + MacBook Air 11
leonovo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,923
Message 4 of 16

I upgraded a T410 today (windows 7 Professional 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit), so far it looks completely successful.  I did flash the BIOS first as a precaution.  The only problem I did hit was that the machine hung immediately after upgrade but after restarting it completed the install.

clash0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,853
Message 5 of 16

@leonovo

Had you any problem with video driver? (integrated)

leonovo
Paper Tape
Views: 5,839
Message 6 of 16

Intel (HD) Graphics  - Device Manager does not report any problems. The driver is reported as  8.10.15.2900 provided by Intel dated 26/11/2012.  One footnote, this parfticular T410 was refurbished and had a stock build on Windows 7 Pro 64 before the upgrade to Windows 10 - there may be Lenovo software on Lenovo builds that does not upgrade well.  Also even after the upgrade is complete Windows continues working away for some time (I think it may be updating drivers as well as houskeeping) so patience is needed before you start using Windows 10.

ssum
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,817
Message 7 of 16

Thanks to x220forme, ThinkPad_87 and  leonovo for their input. I cannot exactly chose one as the `best answer.'  All have been very helpful in putting together the jigsaw puzzle picture of facts, details, experience and probablilities for my 32 bit machine. I will wait a while to see if any more useful pieces are dropped on the table before acting.

wildbill23c
Punch Card
Views: 3,450
Message 8 of 16

I did a windows 10 upgrade on my T410, everything was fine with the exception of the video card drivers for both the intel side and the NVIDIA discrete card.  Everything else worked, and the laptop was a little faster on bootup, but without the proper drivers available for the video cards I had to roll back to windows 7.  I wish they would at least support us with drivers since they have windows 7 on them and the ability to update to windows 10.  I love my T410, but looks like its almost to the end of its life as soon as windows 7 support ends Smiley Sad.  

ssum
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,405
Message 9 of 16

Thanks for relating this very clear experience. I have win 7 Pro so there is support I thnk until 2020. I have the idea of bugging Lenovo to write these two drivers, using your rationale. This usually would do no good but you never know.

wildbill23c
Punch Card
Views: 3,394
Message 10 of 16

I really like my T410, it does everything I need it to do, I have yet to upgrade to the maximum 8GB of RAM, I probably should here in the near future since I just installed a Crucial 240GB SSD, boot time is now 23 seconds from a cold boot, it used to take a couple minutes with the old 5400rpm 250GB HDD.  

Everything was fine on the laptop with the exception of the video drivers when I tried the windows 10 upgrade.  If it wasn't for the video drivers I would have kept the windows 10.  I have it on my Lenovo S20 Desktop and it works great...thinking an SSD upgrade for my desktop will be soon as well.  

If you do pursuade Lenovo to give us the driver updates please let us know, I'd love to keep my T410 past windows 7, its a great laptop....and my Lenovo S10e Netbook runs windows 10, so come on Lenovo seriously support the T410's, if I can run windows 10 on a Netbook it should be a no-brainer for a T410.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors