Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukec1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,544
Message 1 of 9

Issue with USBRecoveryCreator.exe - This application is not signed by Lenovo

Hi,

I have ordered a downloadable online restore USB via the request page and have downloaded the USBRecoveryCreator.exe which I then use to fullfill my order and gert the retore USB bootable media.

But when I download the Windows 7 version I get the Error " Warning - This application is not digitally signed by Lenovo and is not permitted to run. Please download the application from Lenovo again. I have downloaded on different computers with different OS and still no luck. Just in case I disabled signature checking on Windows 7 (even though you can override by default) but still no luck. In any case this appears to be a Lenovo program message rather than the normal windows warning that tells you something is unsigned. Also I double checked I had the Windows 7 version and not the version for Windows 8 and above.

Thanks

Luke

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,447
Message 2 of 9

Re: Issue with USBRecoveryCreator.exe - This application is not signed by Lenovo

I could not reproduce this problem using the tool that I downloaded from this page, on my Win7 x64 system:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653

Click on the version ofLenovo USB Recovery Creator tool based on the installed Windows® version on your computer:

Can you please post a screenshot of the error you are seeing?

lukec1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,434
Message 3 of 9

Re: Issue with USBRecoveryCreator.exe - This application is not signed by Lenovo

Thanks for the reply here is the error.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,413
Message 4 of 9

Sorry for this trouble.  But we still don't know why it's working on our systems and not on yours.  Can you please provide 2 more screenshots?  Right-click on USBRecoveryCreator.exe -> Properties:

1.  screenshot of "Details" tab

2.  screenshot of "Digital Signatures" tab

lukec1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,385
Message 5 of 9

Thanks again for looking at this here are the properties. I have ordered the physocal USB recovery stock and it is being shipped at the moment so not critical although it would be good to figure out why I can't do this on our machines as likely I will need to in future.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,369
Message 6 of 9

The file size from your screenshot is unexpected.  Your screenshot is showing 7.99MB, but actually the file is 7.95MB.  We think something must be modifying the file on your end, that's why the error happens.

Please try downloading it from my dropbox and see what happens:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62276273/USBRecoveryCreator.exe

Untitled.png

lukec1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,354
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for that, no still no joy. Let's put this down to something with our firewall (it actively inspects and does certain things to files sometimes) I will at some stage in the future just there with my phone directly to the net and try. Let close it off.

waqy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,871
Message 8 of 9

I am having the same problem as the OP.

Placed a digital order for a USB recovery key  and downloaded the tool (i am on windows 10)

I get the same error in regards to digital signatures.

Highlighted
tmacauley
Paper Tape
Views: 175
Message 9 of 9

The solution I found is to be sure to have Internet access on the PC running USBRecoveryTool.exe. 

I encountered the same error, regardlesss of W7/10 or UAC settings or driver signing setttings.  "This application is not signed by Lenovo and is not permitted to run. Please download the application from Lenovo again".  The same error occurred for the W10 or W7 versions of the USBRecoveryTool.exe .   The files themselves have signatures dated or expired Oct 2018, but the error text appears to be written by Lenovo and is provided by the application itself and not Microsoft.

I connected to the Internet and the problem was resolved.

You need admin rights to run the .exe

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors