Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickeb1
Paper Tape
Views: 628
Message 1 of 5

KVM for T530

I have a Lenovo T530 laptop, which is company issued.  I would like to be able to set something up such that when I am at home, I can switch between the T530 and my home desktop; i.e. both computers sharing the same keyboard, mouse and monitor.  I am thinking I need a KVM switch of some kind, and perhaps also a special adapter to convert the VGA signal from the T530 to a digital signal to drive my home DVI monitor.

At work, we have some sort of ThinkPad mini docking station box, and from the way it connects, it appears that the T530 can drive a monitor via a USB port (i.e. not using the VGA connector) as that is the only connection between the T530 and the mini dock, and it is enough to display the T530 output on a large monitor.  Given this, is there something special I need to get or consider when looking for a KVM solution?  Is anyone doing this with a T530 and can explain what they are using?

Thanks!

rickeb1
Paper Tape
Views: 602
Message 2 of 5

Re: KVM for T530

No one is using a KVM setup with their Lenovo laptop?  Is there some better way to appraoch this?  Thanks!

BCVolkert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 537
Message 3 of 5

I've been using a LinksKey KVM for a long time with a Lenovo T61 and more recently with a Lenovo T430s. I have a 4 port version with two monitors working well with a sound bar, headset, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse. I like using the KVM a lot and have 2 desktops and 2 laptop docking stations connected to it. There were some troubles getting it set up and for the KVM to recognize everything seamlessly; but, I did get it to work after carefully following the configuration and booting process recommended by the manufacturer. Normally, it works just fine.

I recently changed a docking station and introduced a new laptop and have had trouble getting the new laptop to work without imparing the abiity to switch to and from the other systems. I suspect is something with that particular computer because the trouble follows the computer but other computers work just fine in both laptop docking stations.

The point of this little digression is that the KVM may not be without some frustration getting it all to work. . . .  but when it works it is THE way to go. One chair, one keyboard, one mouse, one set of monitors and other peripherals and you can really get some work done. YMMV.

Good luck to you.

rickeb1
Paper Tape
Views: 531
Message 4 of 5

Thanks very much for the response, and for pointing me to the LinksKey KVM!  After having no luck with a couple of cheaper alternatives, I ended up using a KVM by IOGEAR.  I had to do a lot of fiddling with settings to get it to work, but now it is working... mostly.  I have still have trouble with the mouse in that it frequently stops and stutters, and once in a while it will lose communication with the KVM altogether, requiring me to unplug it from the KVM and back in again.  But mostly it allows me to switch between machines pretty well, which was my goal, so it's not bad.

BCVolkert
Fanfold Paper
Views: 513
Message 5 of 5

I've had a bit of inconsistency in the wireless mouse department too. One thing to try is to get the little USB dongle thing as close as practical to the keyboard and mouse (I used a couple of USB extension cables to get within about 18" under the desktop at my corner workstation). Fresh batteries can make a difference too. I keep a cheap battery tester handy and change them when they are questionable. I keep the tired ones around for flash lights and mice that I travel with. The KVM KB&M get fresh batteries and everything else gets the left-overs. 

I traced my strange probem with that new laptop to the wireless keyboard and mouse on the KVM. If I use a wired keyboard and mouse I have no trouble. More experiments to go (maybe wired keyboad and wireless mouse).

Anyway, have fun switching between computers and applications. It is really handy when you need to be updating a bunch of computers at the same time. You can just keep switching from one to another and get into a rythym . Another big plus is just starting a process on one computer and letting it chew away so it is done and ready for me when I'm ready for it (e.g. booting up, downloading e-mail, Quicken transactions for the day etc.) I don't know what I did without the KVM.

My first Linkskey finally died after about 10 years of use. I bought another one right away. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors