02-08-2011

CA

463 Signins

3038 Page Views

• Views: 3038
  • Message 1 of 2

Keyboard has different feel and rattle after repair

2018-11-12, 15:41 PM

I have a T410 and a T440s, and I have had both keyboards out for repair or drying.

In both cases I'm left with a few keys in either the top right (T440s) or lower right (T410) corner that work fine, but they feel different and make a very obvious hollow rattling sound when pressed.  I assume that something is not positioned or seated properly upon re-assembly.

I don't see anything out of alignment, but I assume that I did not re-install them quite right.

Any tips on how I can get that nice quiet ThinkPad feel back on those problem keys? 

T440s the keys are: Insert, Delete, Backspace, +, ] and [

T410 the keys are: Up, Down and Right arrows

Solved! See the solution
Options

10504 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39289 Signins

406372 Page Views

• Views: 406372
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Keyboard has different feel and rattle after repair

2018-11-12, 17:11 PM

You mention drying.  All keyboards can be ruined or damaged if liquids get inside, especially under the membrane over the electrical contacts.  T410 and T440s keyboards are entirely diffferent.  T410 must be seated so it looks to be mounted correctly (all tabs under the palmrest and bezel), and the screw needs to be tightened.  The T440s is more complicated.  It has a sliding frame that must be fitted correctly.  Sometimes it needs to be snapped down, so the frame can slide after the screws are installed.  There is a rubber liquid shield that needs to be positioned correctly.  The keyboard then gets pushed under the keyboard bezel at the top.  The 6 screws are tightened, and the keyboard frame is pushed back using a small screwdriver or keyboard tool in the notches at the bottom off the keyboard frame. You need to pay attention to make sure all the tabs at the bottom of the keyboard end up under the lip of the bezel.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save