Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cdmjr720
Paper Tape
Views: 923
Message 1 of 8

Keyboard issues with T480 laptop

I'm having some major issues with my keyboard on my T480 laptop (running Windows 10). It will randomly decide that the CTRL key is being pressed as I'm typing. To the point where it's trying to paste something in my clipboard, or enable my microphone in Chrome.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for both the keyboard and touchpad, and I've run all the BIOS updates available from Lenovo using the Vantage app. I contacted Lenovo and their solution is to send me a new keyboard. But I feel that this isn't the actual issue and that it's more of a firmware/software problem. I could be wrong though.

The only thing I've found with similar issues on this forum goes back to 2011. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/System-thinks-CTRL-key-is-pressed-when-.... This post made me think it had something to do with the touchpad, hence why I reinstalled that driver too. In that post the solutions that were worked out don't seem to work for me. Even disabling the touchpad doesn't work. The last solution in that thread was to buy a wired keyboard, which I have no intention of doing for my laptop.

It's also not all the time, which is strange. It will just randomly happen and then stop. Does anyone have any thoughts as to a fix for this?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 881
Message 2 of 8

Re: Keyboard issues with T480 laptop

Hi cdmjr720,

Welcome to the community forums. 

Try observing the performance of the keyboard and touchpad in safe mode and perform a clean boot. To access safe mode, follow the steps here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht116905. Clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Update us how it goes.

Thanks!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

cdmjr720
Paper Tape
Views: 864
Message 3 of 8

I've gone into safe mode and done the clean boot, and I'm still having the same issues. It did seem to work fine in safe mode, but the keyboard doesn't always act this way. I can't say for sure that it would've kept working in safe mode.

I'm actually starting to think it may be a faulty keyboard after all...
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 862
Message 4 of 8

I understand. You could try resetting the laptop first to its factory settings and observe the keyboard and if it still does the same then we suggest contacting our local support here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist for repair options. 

Note: Resetting to factory will delete all your data so back up your data first. 

Thanks!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

cdmjr720
Paper Tape
Views: 860
Message 5 of 8

Thanks.  I did call that support and their solution was to send a replacement keyboard.  I think I'll install the new one when I get it and if that doesn't work I'll go down the reset route.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 851
Message 6 of 8

I see. Keep us posted. Thanks. 

cdmjr720
Paper Tape
Views: 803
Message 7 of 8

Update: I installed the new keyboard last week and it's worked fine ever since.  So I guess it was hardware and not software!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 785
Message 8 of 8

Hello cdmjr720, Thanks for keeping us updated. We're glad to hear that this issue has been resolved. If you have any questions feel free to let us know. Thanks.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors