Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 685,720
Message 1 of 33

Keyboard not working on Lenovo Laptop.

Hi there. I'm experiencing problems with a Lenovo Laptop. I cannot log into Windows because the keyboard is not functioning as normal. The 'H' button is operating as a backspace for example and because I cannot see what I'm typing in the password bar, I don't know which keys are what. Only some keys produce characters and when typing other keys the system just beeps. I had this problem yesterday and I fixed it by holding the FN button and F4 or F7, I think it was F7 but now the same combination isn't working. If you could help me it'd be great. Cheers.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 683,681
Message 2 of 33

Re: Keyboard not working on Lenovo Laptop.

which model Thinkpad do you have?

Also, does the external keyboard produce the same problem. Have you tried to boot a live linux cd and see whether the same problem occur in the linux os environment.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 683,675
Message 3 of 33

We don't know the model believe it or not. I was on the phone to technical support and they told me to take a picture of the laptop and email it to them. The S/N isn't one that registers on their system.

It isn't my laptop, mine is fine but I'm trying to help a friend out. He has no idea CD's because he inherited the laptop.

Does it sound like a familiar issue? If I solved the problem yesterday with FN + F7 (or F4) what might that suggest the issue is? It isn't my laptop as I said but I'm determined to sort it out.

I had a look for my old desktop keyboard to plug in via USB but I can't find it to try it.

SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 683,670
Message 4 of 33

I've done some more Googling and it appears that Filter Keys may be causing the issue.

However, all solutions involving being logged into Windows. I can't log into Windows because the password issue so is there a keyboard shortcut to disable it prior to the system booting?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 683,643
Message 5 of 33

Hi SugarShane!

Try this: Click on the icon the bottom left corner of the login screen and check "Type without a keyboard". An on-screen keyboard will appear. Use the trackpoint/pad/mouse to log in (no physical keyboard required).

Tell us how it goes!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 683,622
Message 6 of 33

Unfortunately I can't get into Windows to follow your suggestion mate. The laptop loads up and I'm stuck on the place where you enter the password.

SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 683,588
Message 7 of 33

I got hold of a USB keyboard but the problem remained.

I pressed Ctrl, Alt and Delete on the Windows password screen I was stuck on and I got into the alternative menu and I could see what I was typing for the first time because the characters weren't hidden. When I typed backspace it produced square symbols so something is seriously wrong.

Is there any way you can think of I can get into Safe Mode? I can get the option screen just after turning it on but because the arrow keys don't work I can't navigate up to the Safe Mode option.

It's a major problem.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 683,574
Message 8 of 33

Hi SugarShane!

The on-screen keyboard is available on the Windows password screen. Click on the icon in the bottom left corner.

Tell us how it goes!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 683,559
Message 9 of 33

It's XP unfortunately lol.

This is one of those problems where I can't seem to catch a break. But I did find out the model of the laptop from the BIOS menu (I think)

It's a Lenovo 3000 G530.

I got the arrows working in the BIOS menu once but couldn't remember how I did it. If I can figure out how to get the arrows working again I might be able to use the arrow to get up to Safe Mode, until then it's more hassle.

SugarShane
Paper Tape
Views: 686,918
Message 10 of 33

I've identified the issue.

The Lenovo machine thinks the CTRL button is being pressed for some unknown reason. I've Googled it and it appears somebody else has the same problem with their Lenovo machine and they have a Logitech external mouse installed, so do I so it'd be a huge coincedence if these weren't linked.

Is there a way of using the arrow functions by pressing CTRL? Is there any combinations like CTRL, ALT and 8 = arrow down for example?

If so I'll at least be able to start it in Safe Mode.

Cheers.

Top Kudoed Authors