Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reichmaj
Token Ring
Views: 2,455
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Recovery Partition after Windows 10 Update

Lenvo Community

So I moved over to the dartk side and have installed Windows 10 on my Lenovo T430.  So far so good but what happens to the Lenovo Recovery partition which remains on the computer.  DO I still have access to it in the event something happens to WIndows 10 or should I remove the partition.  I have OEM recovery disks so I can always return to WIndows 7 (or so I think)

Jeff

Trebacz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,295
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Recovery Partition after Windows 10 Update

I also upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 7) on my T430. Now that it is all sorted I'd like to update the recovery partition to a Windows 10 version of it. Or can I delete delete the recovery partition and get some 4GB of space back on my SSD.

I like the idea of the recovery partition vs a seperate USB stick for an ecovery.

Has anyone made some choices on this topic? What were th outcomes?

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,267
Message 3 of 6

I planned this out before I did the upgrade. I donloaded the upgrade tool and createda 2GB USB stick as my installation media. Since I had disks for the old OS (WIn 7 Pro) I deleted the recovery partition.  I did not do an update install of Win10, opting for a clean installation utilizing the whole available disk space. Since I backup regularly, I consider the USB stick to be my recovery media. In the event of some kind of disaster, I would still take the time for a "clean" install and then re-install the program load rather than rescue the damaged OS. I also have a "Day 1" disc image, but it's obviously incomplete.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,253
Message 4 of 6

After the upgrade to Win10, the recovery partition for the previous OS (Win7 or Win8) is useless.  You can delete it and recover the space on your drive.

Trebacz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,247
Message 5 of 6

Based on the feedback and some further research on my own. After the upgrade I'm going to:

1. Create the USB backup and recover of Windows 10 with the 16 GB USB stick.

2. Delete the old 4GB partition on my SSD and enlarge the main partition.

Unfortunate I'll loose the 1 button revovery, but things change and we move on.

reichmaj
Token Ring
Views: 2,232
Message 6 of 6

I simply ended up restoring my Lenovo T430 back to factory specs (windows 7) and bought a new T560 with Windows 10.  Everthing works better now and Microsfot has stopped pushing windows 10 on my Windows 7 machine. The update just seemed to cause problems

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors