Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 383
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo System Diagnostics Advice

Hello.

I would like to make an inquiry concerning system diagnostics for my computer system. I run a Windows 10 Home (Ver. 1703, OS Build 15063.483) on a ThinkPad T450s (under a 4-year warranty that'll expire on July 20 2019).

I have recently run a System Diagnostics for my system and found issues regarding two storage tests (the tests being for Targeted Read Test & SMART Short Shelf Test for Storage 'device' WDC WD10JPVX-08JC3T5 - 931.51 GBs; the report is attached for reference). I was wondering if I should be concerned over those failed tests.

I would like to know as the end results report state that my computer is 100% functional, even though it doesn't display the one storage 'device' with the two failed tests.

Any help/suggestion/advice on the case would be appreciated!

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 351
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo System Diagnostics Advice

The targeted Read test on your 1 TB Western Digital HDD is not good.

Smart short self test is not good.  

Install latest Lenovo Solution Center 3.6.002 from here.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

The support pages are only showing the 32 bit version.

Order up the hardware scan for the 1 TB WDC via the SELECT tests option 

and attach the run log as you did earlier.

Maybe it will show up in the log now.

Back up all your loved data NOW.

==

For 2nd opinion, download WDC Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows from here:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

extract .zip, run setup. 1st launch will look messy [it is quick testing], it will clear up. 

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 333
Message 3 of 6

I have recently downloaded and installed the latest version of Lenovo Solution Center, though it hasn't made that much change in the said program. I just want to clarify that when I did the system diagnostics the other night, I was running them via Lenovo Companion.

Nevertheless, I will follow the advice given by running the 1 TB WDC test (this can be selected via the Solution Center when selecting my desired, I assume) and also run the Lifeguard Diagnostics for WDC.

As for data backup, I will get that done as soon as possible as my important data has been growing in size for some time and I may need a larger external hard drive to store it all, even if they're all in .zip files. Also, here's the screenshot of the two failed tests as previously stated.

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 331
Message 4 of 6

Additionally, I've noticed that my computer experiences some blackouts during use - particularly when I use the browser Mozilla Firefox in conjunction with Facebook Gameroom.

I have double-checked the browser for any problems and it appears that apart from a couple of crashes, the browser and all concerned plugins are all in the latest possible version. I will also reinstall the Gameroom to see if that can resolve the blackout issue.

Could the problem of the storage hardware stem from this software issue? Advice on the twin posts would be appreciated.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 323
Message 5 of 6

No.  Your HDD is about to die.

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 313
Message 6 of 6

Hi there.

I would like to better understand more about my computer's HDD and how will it affect my computer (in terms of performance). I acknowledge that it may be something big - hence why the advice on backing my data is given - but I want to know how big of an impact am I dealing with.

I wish to know as my computer is still under warranty and would like to know if this type of problem can be resolved while under warranty.

Also, when rerun the tests, should I run a basic SELECT test for all components or run a more COMPREHENSIVE test? I would like to know in order to arrange the time to run the tests uninterrupted. Nevertheless, I will also run the "second opinion" test to learn about my computer's health.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors