Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 575
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo System Update items remain after previous installation

I am currently using a Lenovo ThinkPad T450s for about a year now and I have noticed something unusual with the System Update application.

When I run the app, I stumble upon some updates that I choose to update - so far, there are a total of three updates (1 Critical Update and 2 Optional Updates). The Updates are for McAfee Firstboot Update, ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA N16S-GT) and Synaptics Ultranav Driver.

I have installed the Critical Update numerous times, but that item is there every time I boot up the app again (with note that I nowadays use Windows Defender as my main Security app as opposed to McAfee which has already expired) together with the other two Optional Updates (the Video Features update I deferred its installation for the first time and when I ran installation, it caused my computer to reboot with the stop code critical structure corruption - since then I left it alone, but I sometimes experience the computer briefly crashing before it starts operating fine again; whereas with the Ultranav Driver I run it through, but after sometime my system tells me that the installation can't proceed on due to failure in closing some apps and/or overwrite some older files - ever since I got a different version of the same Driver, though that Driver remains as an Optional Update).

What I'm saying is that all three Updates always pop up after running for new Updates in the System Update app - even after rebooting my system.

I know this is a lot to take in - in which I apologize for - but I would very much appreciate any possible assistance for my present situation.

As for other details, they are:

System Update is currently installed as 'Version' 5; 

All the mentioned updates are associated with the Windows 10 OS with the brackets [ 32, 64 ]; 

My system's BIOS is JBET61WW 1.25, an updated item since it needed the update in the past and

I personally use Mozilla Firefox as my main Internet Browser, though I use Windows Edge/Internet Explorer in a few occasions.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 529
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo System Update items remain after previous installation

Did you ever uninstall your Expired Mcafee?

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 527
Message 3 of 8

I haven't made the attempt as I am unsure how to uninstall McAfee without causing problems to my laptop. A good guide on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 489
Message 4 of 8

Quick Update: The driver update items such as Thinkpad Video Features and Synaptic Ultranav are now shown as Optional Updates and remain there, even after installation.

For this, should I get the Drivers from the Lenovo site or find another source to download from? Suggestions for this would be appreciated.

Also, I would appreciate any good guides on how to uninstall my McAfee Security items as I no longer am using that software for my laptop's security - as of now, I am using Windows Defender as my go-to security software.

Any good help for this update would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 472
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

McAfee has instructions and a removal tool:

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS101331&from...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 458
Message 6 of 8

When doing the uninstallation, should I use the Windows 10 way to remove the McAfee app? Or should I use the tools McAfee provides?

And when it comes to uninstalling McAfee apps, should I only remove the LiveSafe app? Or do I need to remove all McAfee apps (to ensure my device doesn't detect related driver updates)?

Your reply to this would be appreciated, thanks!

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 433
Message 7 of 8

Quick Update #2: I have uninstalled the McAfee LiveSafe application from my laptop and I have not received any Updates regarding it ever since. This means that the uninstallation is successful and I can go on to the other part of my inquiry.

And it's regarding the Optional Updates for Synaptics Ultranav Drive and Lenovo Video Features. As mentioned before, I have run through those Updates before and I had two different results - the Ultranav Drive failed to update due to a notice of failure to close relevant files/drivers; while the Video Features update got through in the second attempt (the first time it caused my laptop to reboot due to a Stop Code Error), but it reappeared again the next time I ran my laptop for System Updates.

From this, what should I do? Should I run those updates via System Update again? Or should I attempt to get the Driver updates from the web? The full names of the said Drivers are: Synaptics Ultranav Driver - 10 [64] and ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA N16S-GT) - 10 [64].

Any help for this update would be appreciated, thanks!

Jet1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 389
Message 8 of 8

Quick Update #3: The Synaptic Driver update no longer appears in the Updates for my laptop altogether. The only one left is the update for ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA N16S-GT) - 10 [64].

This one has been quite persistent for some time. But in (somewhat) unrelated news, my Firefox browser has been running in a sluggish performance. Does it have anything to do with the remaining Optional Update?

If anyone's got some advice on how to improve the performance of my Firefox browser - but more importantly on the Video Features Update - it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

(P.S. I will also make contact with Firefox Support to see what can be done to improve my Firefox performance/experience.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors