cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mc203
Paper Tape
Views: 608
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo T400 technical question - upgrading to Win 7 Prof + Samsung SSD and 8GB RAM

Hi there,

I have a T400 running Windows XP Professional that's in pristine condition, that I'd like to upgrade to Win 7 Prof + an SSD + 8GB of RAM.  It came with a Window's 7 upgrade DVD (and companion DVD) with instructions that note I will need to do a clean install since I have XP. I specifically had this system downgraded from Vista when it was shipped to me in 2010.  The Upgrade DVD says "Win Vista Bus to Win 7 Pro UPG Fulfill Lenovo" on it.

I'm okay with the clean install since I'm running XP, but my question is: if I'm already going  to swap out the HDD to an SSD and I need to do a clean install anyway, can I just remove my old HDD, F1 boot from the disk and then install Windows 7 straight to my new SSD?  Or will the "Upgrade" version of Windows 7 look for something on the old HDD to give it permission to install?

Thanks for any advice.

So essentially 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 595
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo T400 technical question - upgrading to Win 7 Prof + Samsung SSD and 8GB RAM

If the DVDs came from Lenovo, I am fairly sure it will work fine and use the Vista license in the BIOS

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mc203
Paper Tape
Views: 515
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo T400 technical question - upgrading to Win 7 Prof + Samsung SSD and 8GB RAM

Thanks for the response. Yes the DVDs are from Lenovo, And that makes more sense now that I think about it. It looks at the BIOS for Windows auth vs the existing HDD.

So basically i can remove my old HDD, pop in my new SSD, boot from the disk and do a fresh install vs a HDD clone which i've heard is less desirable. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors