cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,152
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo T410s recovery windows 7 failed to start after the system instalation.

I've got a problem with the laptop Lenovo T410s. I've put the new HDD on it (tried even the same with a different HDD too), and started to instal WIN 7 64-bit from the recovery disks. I used to do it many times so far with different Lenovo laptops without any problems. But this time, a while before the end of the instalation (when processing the sdrivebackup.wim) it stops and comes with a statement: " the recovery process has been finished, please ...." (but I see that the progres bar is far awayfrom 100%) , and finishes the instalation, reboot the computer and it comes the screen with the statement from the Windows Boot Manager:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem (...)

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entrycould not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt"

I read a lot about the ways to solve similar problems, but they don't work on my case. The strange thing is, that I can instal WIN 8 or WIN7 from regular Windows instalation disks  (not from Lenovo recovery, but from normal universal Windows instalation disks).

As I told before, I tried it in 2 different HDD disks with the same effect. It looks that the recovery instalation stops before the end without instaling some files which are missing later during starting the system.

Anybody can help me with that problem?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,118
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo T410s recovery windows 7 failed to start after the system instalation.

I'm not sure this is a source of issue but who knows...
What are the Boot Mode setting in BIOS Setup menu and HDD partioning type? For the Lenovo recovery they must be "Legacy" (it means BIOS, not UEFI) and "MBR" (i.e.not GPT).

If you installed win8 at least UEFI setting persists instead of legacy BIOS one

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,078
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lenovo T410s recovery windows 7 failed to start after the system instalation.

I've no time to work with problem for a while, but today I came back to try solve the problem with the laptop. I've compared the Bios settings with another T400s laptop, and they look the same. As I told before I tried to instal WIN 7 32 bit from the regular Windows instalation (not from Lenovo recovery) and it instaled succesfuly.

But I want to instal the system from my Lenovo Win 7 64-bit recovery.

Before the end of the instalation I got the info (during processing sdrivebackup.wim):

iuimagex

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or might be malicious software from an unknown source"

From the other hand I can't find in BIOS any place where I could make the set for the  type as "Legacy" and MBR

Anybody can help mi with that problem?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,075
Message 4 of 11

It doesn't quite sound like it based on your reported error messages, but are you trying to do recovery to an advanced format HDD?  (one with 4k-byte sectors)

I ran into that issue on a T400.  The recovery media would run to completion then error out - with a somewhat different message IIRC.

There weren't appropriate drivers for an AF drive, and I couldn't find a solution.  There's no way (that I know of) to inject drivers into recovery media the way one can with install media.

If this is an AF drive issue the only way to get around it may be to install to a non-AF drive (usually a small-ish one) and then clone to your new drive.

I may be totally off in left field here - just tossing it out as a possibility.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,071
Message 5 of 11

I'm not too big expert with it. But I've made tens of such instalation from the recovery on different Lenovo laptops not having such problems so far. I'm doing just normal instalation from the recovery as usual, even changed the HDD with the same efect. Still have no idea what to do Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,065
Message 6 of 11

Did you check out boot mode and partioning scheme? Again, It's impossible to perform win7 recovery from the Lenovo media (or user's media using Lenovo Factory Recovery applet) if Legacy mode is disabled and partioning scheme is GPT as win8 needs.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,064
Message 7 of 11

On my BIOS settings in the Boot Mode I've got two options:

- Quick

- Diagnostics

I don't see any other boot mode option.

I've solved the problem in different way, maybe less ambitious. I've got another T410 s, so I took out its HDD with the complete instalation and put the one into the laptop which can't instal the system from the recovery. And it works (just make some driver instalation, and all's OK).

Do you think, that now if I'd like to recover from the HDD recovery which I put now into the laptop, it'd reinstall the system without any problems?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,050
Message 8 of 11

Yes, I see at the BIOS v.1.22 simulator. Sorry.
Is the BIOS version up to date, 1.50? In that version only win8 support was added. Did you try to load default BIOS settings?

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,047
Message 9 of 11

Yes I've got the BIOS updated. Also tried to load defaults.

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,014
Message 10 of 11

As I told before, I put another HDD with the WIN-7 ready instalation from another T410s and it worked after downloading few new drivers. But today when instaling some software, I got the the blue screen, so I decided to make again the fresh instalation from the recovery disks. Unfortunately, the same problem during the instalation came back, and I can't do it that way (I know I can do it again the way before, but it's not the best solution). So could you give me some new advices?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors