cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
est
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,974
Message 1 of 19

Lenovo T430 - Unauthorized network card is plugged in.

Hello,

I've spent literally days searching for a solution to this problem.

Eventually I gave up - posting my first message here with hope that someone will help.
Those who have encountered a similar issue may already know that Lenovo has whitelisted product restrictions in place.

I bought my Lenovo T430 from an auction (third-party seller). Everything was working fine, even the wireless network card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205.

Then I decided to reinstall the system and bring everything back to the factory settings (my bad).

This is where I came across the error:

"1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the miniPCI network card."

Well initally I thought that there were still some drivers missing. I disabled the security boot in BIOS, rebooted the system, connected to the internet via my wired LAN (the wifi network card wasn't recognized under the Device Manager, not even the classic yellow question mark). I've done all the Windows updates. Also all the applicable Lenovo Thinkvanatge updates incuding the latest BIOS.

Then I enabled the secure boot again and got the same error message "Unauthorized network card is plugged in".
Now I basically function only by using my wired LAN adapter.

I probably haven't posted nothing new.

The advice would be - "get the Lenovo recognized compatible wireless card.
Find the proper FRU and FCC ID combination for your specific model".

Frankly I am willing to pay for the proper wireless card!
But it's so tough to find all the info needed!
I'm so confused reading all the tables/product combinations..

And where to get that Lenovo authorized card from? ..cannot see any Lenovo site selling stuff like that!?

Can someone please help?

My Lenovo T430 laptop credentials with Win 7 Professional (everything's genuine):

Type/Product ID: 2344 5GU

My Wireless Network Card:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205
MODEL: 62205ANHMW
FCC ID: not sure if I should post it here (but it does have an ID)
FRU P/N: 60Y3253
LC P/N: 20002533
11S60Y3252

Please, let me know if more info is needed.

I found a few solutions advising some BIOS workarounds - but I don't really want to be "flashing" my BIOS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

est
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,960
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lenovo T430 - Unauthorized network card is plugged in.

I'm adding the T430 Serial Number as well:

Removing serial per forum rules  Richk

My apologies, did not read the forum rules properlySmiley Sad

One thing I did not mention though - my laptop still has 9 months of warranty left!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 13,926
Message 3 of 19

Hi, est

1. What was the BIOS version on your laptop before you performed factory recovery? Did you upgrade/downgrade the BIOS?

2. AFAIK Secure Boot BIOS Setup option doesn't refer with wl features. It's for another reasons.

3. Did you remember ven/dev IDs on the screen with error message text? They look like 4 groups of 4 symbols via slash

4. Card's Lenovo FRU looks proper for your laptop, 60Y3253.

Conclusion depends of your answers.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 13,924
Message 4 of 19

Also, if you'll disassemble laptop to get the card, please, make its photo with quality enough to recognise the labels on the both sides. And post here. If the size of photo will be more then 150 kb, please, post a link only.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

est
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,912
Message 5 of 19

Hello,

First of all thank you so much for getting back to me!

To your questions:

1. What was the BIOS version on your laptop before you performed factory recovery? Did you upgrade/downgrade the BIOS?

Frankly, I don't recall it might have been something starting with 1.

The current BIOS version (the latest update) is G1ETA7WW (2.67) .

2. AFAIK Secure Boot BIOS Setup option doesn't refer with wl features. It's for another reasons.

Sure, you might be right. I'm certainly not an expert at that, I only know that when some "Legacy" as a first boot instance is selected then I can get through without that 1802 error: Unauthorized network card is plugged in.."

3. Did you remember ven/dev IDs on the screen with error message text? They look like 4 groups of 4 symbols via slash

I apologize, I don't remember. But I don't think there was any..

4. Card's Lenovo FRU looks proper for your laptop, 60Y3253.

Yes, I believe so. I have a proof that it was working before!

For some reason I took a screenshot of the Device Manager (just to keep it as a reference before the re-install and the upgrade). It clearly recognized the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 card and I was connected to my wireless network.

Please, refer to the attached screenshot.

Fully working  Intel Centrino wireless card

As per your request, I asked a friend of mine (he's goood with computers) to take out the wirless card and to take a picture of it.

Again, please refer to the attached images.

Scanned Intel Centrino Wireless Card with FRU

Here is the reverse side:

Intel Centrino Wireless card - revese side

Let me know if any questions, I'll be definitely cooperating as much as I can.

Thank you!

Ian

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 13,903
Message 6 of 19

Thanks for answers and photos.

2. ven/dev IDs (as well SUBSYS) should be shown at that screen. It's a "classic" IBM/Lenovo 1802 error message.
Please, specify, can you boot laptop w/o error with "Legacy BOOT" settings and fitted card now?
FYI, this settings doesn't refer with wl too, but might cause another behaviour.

3. Anyway, we need the real card's IDs I'm talking about to compare with wl'ed ones in order to make a conclusion.

Labels look proper, it's definitely not a faked card.

The simplest method to know IDs is to fit the card into another laptop. Or recall 1802 error message again.

est
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,888
Message 7 of 19

Alright, I took another screenshots then.

You were right, before entering BIOS there was that brief sequence with some WL info..

I got lucky to capture it - aftter that I managed to get into BIOS once only..

Exiting BIOS (without any BIOS changes - with UEFI/Legacy Boot and disabled secure boot) Windows loaded normally and I was able to see the Intel Centrino card! This was strange..

I even connected to the wirelss network!!! Can you imagine?!! Without changing anything!

I did not believe my eyes, what happend?

Well, I decided to restart the system to see if that really works.. But it didn't. See the second screenshot.

T430_Boot_up_screen1.jpg

My joy was shortlived.

The very next restart brought me straight to the "System halted" screen.

I am not even able to get into the BIOS now Smiley Sad

T430_Boot_up_screen2_halted.jpg

Sorry, what did you mean by "Real Card's IDs"?

Aren't those showing in the pictures I sent? Or where should I look for them?

Thank you,

Ian

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 13,873
Message 8 of 19

Thanks.

Card's IDs according your photo are VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_00008086

It means:
1. this card isn't Intel 6205. Those ven/dev IDs should belong Intel 1030
2. these IDs are not wl'ed in t430, that's the cause of 1802 error
3. by some reasons laptop's BIOE/EC doesn't catch IDs from the card while POST process after cold start but does that after reboot and locks laptop with error message
4. your card is a fake with well done labels. I couldn't recognise that by labels photos, sorry.
5. you are not alone here, on the forum, with the same card:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X230-incompatible-wifi-card-despite-correct-FR...
6. the card should be replaced in order laptop worked.

Sorry for the bad news.

est
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,859
Message 9 of 19

I see Smiley Sad

At least I know what's going on!

So basically I got scammed.. Lesson learned.

Please, could anyone advise where to get a proper Intel Centrino Wireless card for this model?

I searched the Lenovo site they do not have any cards like that for sale..

Thank you again for all your help and time!

Highly appreciate that!

Ian

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 13,851
Message 10 of 19

They are not expensive. I have a spare one (FRU 60y3253) here you can have for $10, but it costs me $19.50 to ship a small priority mail flat-rate box to Canada. You would do better buying locally, if you can find one. Send me a private message if you want to discuss.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors