Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JR36
Paper Tape
Views: 1,185
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo T440p HDD replacement questions

Hello,

I currently own a T440P  (machine type 20AN) and my HDD is failing.  I want to replace the HDD with a SSD and had a few questions about the process (my apologies in advance, I'm not the most tech savvy user).  They are:

1) What size is the HDD?  Normally, it's written on the outside of the media device, but I can't seem to find it on the drive.

2) What size devices can the machine fit?  That is, can it fit a 7mm?  Or a 9mm?

3) Is it possible to just replace the HDD with a SATA SSD?  Do I need any special tools, adapters, etc. to do so?

4) If the old HDD has failed, is it still possible to access the recovery partition?  If I cannot, how/where can I access the drivers and Windows that were preloaded on my machine? 

5) Where can I obtain a copy of my Windows product key in case I need it at some point?

6) When I purchased my machine, I elected for Windows 7 via downgrade rights in Windows 8.  Is it possible to still stick to a W7 installation?  How do I elect this option when reinstalling windows?

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Guru
Views: 1,134
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo T440p HDD replacement questions

Hello.

Replacing the drive in a T440p is a fairly straight forward affair, but answering your questions in order:

1. The drives in a T440p are 2,5" size standard HD/SSD's, and if your WWAN slot is free, then you can use it for a M.2 2242 NGFF SSD and have dual drives in it.

2. The T440 series can use both 7mm and 9.5mm drives.

3. Yes you can and you don't need any special tools for that. The 2,5" SSD's are identical in size and have the same connector.

4. You don't need the drivers from the recovery section, they are all old and outdated so you save yourself a lot of work by skipping them. Personally, I haven't installed Windows 7 on a T440p, so before you start, just head over to the Lenovo Support site and get the LAN/WLAN drivers for your machine and keep them handy. When you're done installing Windows, install the LAN/WLAN drivers, get ThinkVantage System Update and use it to fill in the rest of the drivers.

5. For your Windows 7 key, you should have gotten a sticker with your Win7 product key which is then located underneath the battery.

6. Yes, you can safely stick to Windows 7, just use a Win7Pro SP1 installation media on USB, and the product key on your sticker.

If you need further assistence, just chime back.

Cheers,

Atli Jarl.

ThinkPad P1 - i7-8750H/32GB // ThinkPad P70 - Xeon E3-1505M/64GB
ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/32GB // ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB
ThinkPad T450s (20BW) - i7-5600U/12GB // Yoga 900 - i7-6500U/8GB
ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors