Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thm22
Paper Tape
Views: 416
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo T440s ThinkPad does not recognize EVO 860 1 TB SSD

Hi,

I have a Lenovo T440s and just purchased a Samsung EVO 860 1 TB SSD SN S3Z8NB0M108662P MZ-76E1T0. (2.5, not M2)

I was planning to replace the current SD. I am using a USB/SATA cable that works with other drives to make a copy of the old drive.

The computer bios/device manager does not recognize the drive! The cable works with other drives. 

Any advice?

Thanks, Thomas. 

T440s Laptop (ThinkPad), Machine Type Model: 20AQCTO1WW

Operating System Windows 10 (64-bit) (Just updated all the latest patches and drivers.)

EVO 860 Sata 6 GB/s V-NAND SSD

freddellmeister
802.11n
Views: 404
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo T440s ThinkPad does not recognize EVO 860 1 TB SSD

That the cable is working with other drives is no guarantee, I would shut down the computer, insert the ssd and connect your old drive to the cable for duplication. If that works, the cable is too old for the ssd.

thm22
Paper Tape
Views: 362
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo T440s ThinkPad does not recognize EVO 860 1 TB SSD

Thank you.

That was a good suggestion. I was just thinking about that as well.

In fact the SIIG USB cable I have did not work with the EVO, but it worked with the old SSD.

The EVO was recognized by the Bios when plugged directly in the T440s.

However, the T44s would not boot from the USB SSD, so I created a Windows 10 Recovery memory stick.

I loaded Macrium Reflect onto that, which allowed me to copy the partitions from the old SSD to EVO.

Then I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to move and extend the partitions on the EVO the way I wanted them.

I also had to disable some security settings and allow to boot from non-UEFI devices so I could boot from the memory stick.

I first tried with Samsung Magician which failed, and with EaseUS tools. The free EaseUS tools cannot move partitions.

So Macrium and AOMEI are the ones to consider.

Thank you for your tip.

Thomas.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors