Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JABEKA
Paper Tape
Views: 2,988
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo T450S - Keyboard not working at all

Hi,

My touchpad is working, but that is all, so I can't type anything.  My ThinkPad does not have touch sensitive screen, so no other options.  (I assume that the on-screen keyboard is what is meant by 'internal' keyboard?)

Here is what I have tried without success:

--turned off, unplugged, removed battery, pressed power button for 60 sec, replaced battery, plugged in, turned on (actually it started up when I pressed power button for 60 sec).  Still no keyboard response.

--cleaned the keyboard with electronic duster

--tried random ctrl+ with both right and left ctrl keys

--what DOES work is the backlight on and off (Fn + space bar)

Without being able to type anything, I can't try uploading a new keyboard driver.

Any suggestions?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,952
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo T450S - Keyboard not working at all

After pressing and holding the power button, can you interrupt the startup by hitting enter?  If yes, it sounds like software.  If no, it sounds like a failing keyboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JABEKA
Paper Tape
Views: 2,930
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo T450S - Keyboard not working at all

Thanks, richk.  I asked the IT repair person I had called if he agreed and he said that's just what he did when he got to my place to pick it up.  (After which he immediately told me how rare it is for a keyboard to fail, thus indicating it was a software issue.)  Had I not been weary of DIY, what would be the next step?  Transferring all my files to an external hard drive, then re-installing...?   Or call the repair person?  Smiley Happy

I definitely appreciate your response!

jabeka

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors