Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryan10983
What's DOS?
Views: 20,608
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo T460, docking station and dual monitors

I have a user with a Thinkpad T460 (20FN003FUS) and a LenovoThinkpad Ultra Dock.

We are using two external monitors: one going out from the VGA port of the docking station and one going out from the DisplayPort port and going through a DisplayPort - VGA adapter.

The system worked fine at first. I had three displays: 1 being the laptop display and 2 and 3 being the dual monitors.

The problem we're having is that when she undocks and redocks the laptop, both external monitors show in Screen

Resolution as "Disconnected." If I change the multiple displays setting to "extend" I get an error message.

If I undock the laptop, reboot it and then redock it, I can extend the displays, but it will stop working after the next

undock-redock cycle.

I noticed the Lenovo has it's own multiple dispay management application. Should I be using that instead of Windows own native application?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

sysbuilder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,411
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo T460, docking station and dual monitors

I also have this issue, in addition to the following problems when the first issue is not presenting itself:

When docking the laptop in a sleep state (closed), it wont come back on--neither the laptop power button works nor the dock. I undock, redock, nothing. Even holding down the power button for 10 seconds on the laptop gives no indication that it is powering off (also resulting me having to lose any work open in said sleep state), nor does the laptop hard power down via holding the dock power button down for 10 seconds. Finally, through some logic outside of those steps, docking it back and hitting power illuminates the keys, and it comes back on, and my dual monitors and native laptop screen appear.

When it decides to finally do the above, all applications are sitting in the native laptop screen, resulting in having to re-position all the windows. I understand it does that when you open it from a sleep state undocked--thats the only monitor. However, when docking, shouldn't it re-position the windows as I had them?

Perhaps an available firmware update for the dock is around here? Thanks for any solutions.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

juro2000
What's DOS?
Views: 20,211
Message 3 of 7

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with T460s. I didn't find a way how to connect second monitor (the only one connected to docking station).

I need to reboot everytime. Once it is rebooted on docking station, the large monitor connects properly. When I undock (e.g. going on a meeting) and dock again, I need to reboot...

I kindly ask for advice @Lenovo. It is a step back in reliability (I have been using T440 before).

nfreeman
What's DOS?
Views: 20,115
Message 4 of 7

Same issue here, no solution yet

bryan10983
What's DOS?
Views: 20,110
Message 5 of 7

We've had good luck with updating the firmware of the docking station.  If you haven't tried that yet give it a shot and it may work for you.

sysbuilder
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,045
Message 6 of 7

Thank you.

I've completed the firmware update below for ThinkPad Pro Dock 90W(40A10090XX), XX being US in my case, file "fwdphb06.exe" and will reply later to let you know if the behavior has improved.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd014572

ChrisHill
What's DOS?
Views: 9,034
Message 7 of 7

It seems to be fixed - I installed last months Windows 10 cumlative update the other day and my T460S has been docking correctly again!!!

2017-09 umulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4040724)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors