Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quoshy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 232
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo T470s Fingerprint Reader Stopped Working

The fingerprint sensor on my Lenovo T470s stopped working after installing Windows Update 1809.

Attempted to setup fingerprint sign in again but this happens:

Click Set up > Get Started > Enter PIN and then:

The screen that says "Touch the fingerprint sensor" flashes briefly before before showing "Sorry, something went wrong." No lights illuminate on the fingerprint sensor at any time

Something Went Wrong.png

I've attempted to uninstall the sensor through device manager and then reinstall with drivers from here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...)

Device Manager.pngDrivers.png

But the same issue occurs during setup of the fingerprint sign in. The device manager indicates that the device is functioning correctly. I've run the Lenovo System Update manager and updated the BIOS on my computer and there are no other outstanding updates. Can anyone recommend anything else to try?

Thanks,

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 208
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo T470s Fingerprint Reader Stopped Working

As a test, and to rule out a possible hardware problem, try creating a new Windows user.  Then log in as that user and see if you can enroll a fingerprint.

Quoshy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 194
Message 3 of 13

Hi someotherguy, thanks for the reply.

I created a new user on the computer and attempted to enroll a fingerprint but the exact same issue described above occurred. Are there any other tests you recommend?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 186
Message 4 of 13

Have you tried resetting the fingerprint data in BIOS setup?  Reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup, then from Security -> Fingerprint menu, choose the option about reset the fingerprint data.

Quoshy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 178
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the additional suggestion but unfortunately, it didn't work. The same issue described above is still occurring. Is there anything else you can recommend?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 163
Message 6 of 13

I don't have another suggestion.  Is rolling back to 1803 an option?

Quoshy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 153
Message 7 of 13

I'll give that a try. Thanks again.

Quoshy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 100
Message 8 of 13

I did some more investigation and I was mistaken that the overall Windows update to 1809 caused the problem. The 1809 update was installed back in Dec 2018, but a cumulative update for 1809 (KB4489899) was installed around the time the problem occurred so that may have caused it. I've rolled this update back and attempted to uninstall and reinstall the fingerprint sensor drivers and it still has not resolved the issue. Any other suggestions?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 97
Message 9 of 13

I'm out of good ideas and haven't heard anyone else reporting this problem.  But there is something else you could try:

1.  reboot to BIOS setup, then go to Security -> Intel SGX.  Set it to disabled, then press F10 to save and exit

2.  in Windows, open Device Manager -> Biometric Devices. If it is showing some error, uninstall it and then reboot

Quoshy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 89
Message 10 of 13

Thanks again for the new suggestion. Unfortunately, this also didn't produce the expected result:SGX Disabled.png

It looks like I may have to live with the fingerprint sensor not functioning. Thanks for the help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors